Hi, 1password 7.3 is now read-only on my new laptop

Options

I sent various emails starting 17 Feb, but no response. I wish to activate this without purchasing anything, as I have paid already when I installed 1P 4 a few years ago. 1P has been deleted from my old laptop. I have your confirmation mail with a key, which I sent to you. I still have a vault in Dropbox, as well as settings and a legacy key chain, all dated 19 Jan, probably the date that I switched to my new laptop.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:new laptop

Comments

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    Options

I wish to activate this without purchasing anything, as I have paid already when I installed 1P 4 a few years ago.

Since you purchased a license for 1Password 4 and not 1Password 7 this will not be possible. You can download 1Password 4 for Windows under the following link in the lower right hand corner of the page:
    https://1password.com/downloads/windows/

You can use 1Password 4 with your license indefinitely but since it is legacy software (and the chrome integration is not working anymore) it would be a very good decision to upgrade to 1Password 7 or even better a 1Password membership (I recently started the membership and have not looked back since, sync is perfect and it includes the Apps for all platforms and all future updates).

Unfortunately this is the same as with every other product, if I go to my car dealer and sit in the brand new 2019 version of the model I bought in 2017, he won't give me the keys to the new one either. Making software and keeping it up to date requests constant investment and recurring revenue so a license only covers the version it is purchased for.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, 1Password for Windows version 7 is available along with all of the apps and updates as part of a 1Password membership, or as a separate purchase for that specific version. You can find pricing in the announcements detailing what's new:

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Maarten003
    Maarten003
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have already downloaded 1password and I assume that it automatically upgraded to the latest version. What happens if I download IP4 again: can I sync with my existing vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Maarten003: To be clear, an earlier version, like 1Password 4, does not update to 1Password 7, which is a completely new version. If you do end up going back to 1Password 4, it can also read the OPVault format 1Password 7 uses. :)

• Maarten003
    Maarten003
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Brenty or colleague, unfortunately, this easy solution does not work. To be clear from my side: I have never on purpose updated to 1P7 and I am just referring to the version that I see under Help/about. I have tried to download using your link, but it automatically downloads a 1P7 version, in this instance 7.2.617 which again asks me to add a 1P account or licence which are not applicable to me. Despite that you refer to 1P4 as a legacy product, I want to continue to use this and I would appreciate to see my genuine enquiry properly addressed. I have sent various emails already, all unanswered. At the same time, I would appreciate to understand what is the appropriate Canadian office to file a complaint, which I will need to do if this continues.

• Maarten003
    Maarten003
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Brenty or colleague, I have also just reached out to Jeff Shiner. Hopefully you or him can help me out. Tx, Maarten

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Maarten003 - you'd need to visit the bottom of the page at this link, under the "using an older computer" section. There, you'll see 1Password 4 for Windows.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Maarten003: I don't see where I said anything about "easy". Certainly it can be in most cases, but not knowing anything about your setup I wouldn't make that presumption. :) If you'll let me know specifically where you're running into trouble, I'm sure I can help you get sorted. ;) And for future reference, sending multiple messages in multiple places just slows down the support process for everyone -- including you. So let's continue the conversation in a single place. Thanks! :chuffed:

• Maarten003
    Maarten003
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Lars, thank you, this clarification helped and I am now back at 1P4 which seems to function normally.

Kind regards, Maarten

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Maarten003 - I'm glad you were able to get 1Password 4 for Windows reinstalled. We really can't recommend this as any sort of durable solution for the long term, since legacy versions of 1Password will only get less and less compatible with age and as you continue to upgrade your OS and browser(s). At some point, you'll probably want to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Windows and when that time comes, let us know if you have any questions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.