Forms not filling

DoctorDan
DoctorDan
Community Member
edited March 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

This question is basically to raise the issue that an increasing number of web sites fail to fill from the 1PW browser extension. It occurs in both Firefox and Safari. The problem has been occurring more and more frequently over the past three months. There are so many sites affected it's difficult to remember them all but this one failed today:

https://manuscripts.jama.com/
This is a piece of the page source

<TABLE border=0 cellspacing=1 cellpadding=0>
<TR>
<TD ALIGN=right CLASS="TTS">Login Name</TD>
<TD ALIGN=left CLASS="TRS">
<INPUT NAME="login" ID="login" SIZE="20" MAXLENGTH=100 autocomplete="new-password">
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD ALIGN=right CLASS="TTS">Password</TD>
<TD ALIGN=left CLASS="TRS">
<INPUT TYPE='password' NAME="password" SIZE="20" MAXLENGTH=100>
</TD></TR>
</TABLE>
<

It won't surprise me if it turns out that web site developers are using creative, non-standard field names that 1PW can't match but it might be something that 1PW has some control over. If so I hope you can figure out what it is and fix it.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Forms not filling in firefox

Comments

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

The URL I mentioned is not a good example of the problem but it does highlight a separate issue. 1PW gives not indication, when attempting to fill fields (whether it be login info or personal info, etc) that it couldn't find a match for some of the fields. In this case the name field failed because the form name isn't "name" but the password field failed because there was no password in 1PW. There is no indication of this except a blank target field after clicking "fill".

It's something to think about.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

@DoctorDan: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the difficulty! Just to clarify, 1Password won't show any messages, etc. about filling or not filling. There are a lot of "garbage" fields in most web forms, so if 1Password was at all chatty it would drive us all batty. :)

Regarding your example, 1Password doesn't autosave or fill there because it is not a login form; I don't know why, but it's a table. Generally it isn't desirable for 1Password to interact with tables on websites. But maybe we can figure out a way to make it work in the future without causing other issues. If there are others you'd like to share, we'll be happy to look into it.

This discussion has been closed.