Change Master Password

Options
BillW78
BillW78
Community Member

Where do I find the complete instructions for changing my Master Password and then changing whatever else needs to be changed/updated as a result of th Master Password change?

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mojave
Sync Type: ?

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @BillW78,

If you look on each of your devices do you see a 1Password vault called "Primary" on any of them? I ask as it makes a difference in the instructions.

The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    3. If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

If you are using a 1Password membership we generally recommend removing the Primary vault. You can then change your Master Password through the web interface:

https://my.1password.com/profile

Change Master Password

(left hand sidebar)

Ben

• BillW78
    BillW78
    Community Member
    Options

Where would I find this vault on a MacBookPro for example?

• Ben
    Options

@BillW78

You can look in 1Password > Preferences > Vaults

or

Open the vault switcher at the top left corner of the app:

Ben

• BillW78
    BillW78
    Community Member
    Options

I don't see a vault called "Primary".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BillW78!

In this case, as Ben mentioned, you can then change your Master Password directly from the web interface. If you login to your account, you can then change your Master Password by clicking on the Change Master Password link in the menu on the left.

I hope this helps!

• jm1passworduser
    jm1passworduser
    Community Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

I need to change my Master Password. I have logged in to the web interface, but I do not see a way to change my master password.

I have:

• Opened my primary vault, and do not see an option in the menu on the left to change my password.
    • Looked at the top-level menu and my profile details, and do not see left-hand menus.

Would a team member be so kind as to post screenshots of how to do this via the web interface?

I noticed above I am supposed to 'remove my primary vault' -- will this not lose my user data, including passwords and 2FA secrets, in order to change my master password?

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jm1passworduser! Welcome to the forum!

You say that you logged in to the web interface, but then you also mentioned opening the Primary vault, which is not visible in the web interface. Are you by chance looking at the 1Password desktop app instead?

Do you see a Change Master Password button if you visit this page?

This discussion has been closed.