1Password does not copy password using keyboard shortcut

Ninja01
Ninja01
Community Member
edited March 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm having issue copying a password from a "password" entry using keyboard shortcuts.

I'm aware that there's been a thread regarding a similar issue back in 2018 June when 1Password 7 was in beta. Users seem to be having issues with copying passwords via the mini-app and the main app for "login" entries. However, mine differs in that it does not work on "password" entries.

It does not work on the mini-app or when I open the 1Password App.

I've made sure I've highlighted the entry and pressing CTRL + SHIFT + C. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• chris_lemos
    chris_lemos
    Community Member

Hello, @Ninja01

Back in 2018 there was a problem where this shortcut wasn't working for password entries. Add a login to your password and see if that works. Also, as always, make sure you're using the latest version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ninja01: If 1Password doesn't have focus, or if some other process is intercepting those keystrokes globally, it won't receive the command. Unfortunately without some basic information you've omitted from your post that's all I can really give you at this point. But if you'll tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect, we'll see what we can figure out as far as why you'd be having that problem on your machine:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For example, do other keyboard shortcuts work in 1Password? If so, that would seem to indicate that Ctrl Shift C specifically is being intercepted. Thanks in advance! :)

• Ninja01
    Ninja01
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

Hi @brenty, here's some additional information you've requested:

• 1Password for Windows Version: 7.3.657
    • OS Build: 16299.967
    • Ctrl Shift C works if the entry is a login entry with username and password as noted by @chris_lemos
    • Shortcuts for 1Password do work (except for the case I've specified above). For example, I can invoke 1Password mini app no problem using Ctrl Alt \

The issue occurs when I try to invoke Ctrl Shift C on the password only entry using 1Password mini and the full application and is not related to its use in a browser.

My intent: To unlock 1Password mini and copy a password from a password only entry.

Steps taken:
    1) Invoke 1Password mini using Ctrl Alt \
    2) Unlock vault using master password
    3) Use keyboard to highlight the desired entry
    4) Invoke copy keyboard shortcut Ctrl Shift C
    5) Attempt to paste into password field for a remote desktop session.

The same steps were also attempted using 1Password app (not the mini app).

What I expect: When I invoke Ctrl Shift C in step 4, the password should be copied to my clipboard so I can paste it directly into the password field in step 5.

• Ninja01
    Ninja01
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

Hi @brenty here's the information you've requested:

• 1Password for Windows Version: 7.3.657
    • OS Build: 16299.967

My Intent: I want to copy a password from a password only entry to paste into a password field

Steps Taken:
    1) Invoke 1Password mini app using Ctrl Alt \
    2) Use keyboard to highlight the password entry
    3) Invoke copy keyboard shortcut Ctrl Shift C
    4) Attempt to paste into password field using Ctrl V

What I see is that nothing is pasted into the password field. When I try to paste the password into notepad.exe to see if I was able to copy anything, I see nothing.

What I expect: When I invoke Ctrl Shift C in step 3, the password should be copied to my clipboard so I can paste it into the password field in step 4.

I am able to access 1Password shortcuts. For example, I am able to invoke 1Password mini app using Ctrl Alt \ in step 1. I am also able to copy username and password using Ctrl Shift C if it is a login entry as noted by @chris_lemos. Ctrl Shift C only fails for me when I invoke it for a password only entry.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ninja01: Oh. You mean a Password item? I think there's been a misunderstanding then. Those are used by 1Password as a safety net in case you don't save a Login item when using a generated password.

Currently the new Windows app does not have a shortcut that will immediately copy a password at all. Rather, when you have selected a Login item, pressing Ctrl Shift C will open a menu with Copy Username, Copy Password, etc. If you're doing something else, it won't work. 1Password simply doesn't do what you seem to be expecting, but I'll pass your feedback onto the team as we continue iterating on the keyboard support and redesign 1Password mini. Thank you! :)

• Ninja01
    Ninja01
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

Thanks for the explanation @brenty, it all makes sense now. I have 1Password on Mac for my personal laptop and discovered the password item, which I found to be very useful in scenarios where there's simply no username used. Examples of this include password to my mac,  Watch or iPhone when I boot up the device. Other examples include hard drive encryption passwords when using backup software like Time Machine.

The Command Shift C keyboard shortcut works on the mac even for password items out of the box so I took this feature for granted on windows and became confused when the shortcut didn't work.

I'm using the Windows version of 1Password because my workplace uses Windows PCs. It would be great to have this experience consistent across the platforms :)

• I'm actually not able to reproduce this problem, @Ninja01. If I use Ctrl + Shift + C with a Password item selected in mini, I still get the proper copy password context menu. Now, I agree that there's a bit of a UX concern there – the context menu is a bit redundant when there's only one field to be copied – but it does work for me. That said, I am using an internal build of 1Password for Windows, so this may simply mean this has been fixed between the version you're using and the build I have. Could you share what version of 1Password you're running? Just stable or beta is quite enough. I'll double check whether I'm able to reproduce in your version to ensure there's not something more going on here. Thanks! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.