Windows 10: Can I substitute a PIN number for Master Key sign-in?

I have a lengthy Master Key, and would like to be able to open 1PW with a short key, which would not reveal the longer Master Key.

1Password Version: 7.3.66.1 Beta
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Sync Type: 1PW & Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Windows 10: Can I substitute a PIN number for Master Key sign-in?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't support a "PIN" option because that weakens your security significantly -- a short password composed solely of digits is much easier to guess. We won't be adding a feature like that to 1Password. You can, however, choose a Master Password that is still long, strong, and unique, and also more manageable for you:

https://support.1password.com/strong-master-password/

For example, last year it was demonstrated that a three-word Wordlist password takes more than six months to guess, even when there are hints and a cash prize at stake. So we don't have any trouble recommending a random four-word password, since it will take exponentially longer to guess. You can play around with that here:

https://1password.com/password-generator/

Depending on the culture, most people have three or four words to remember for names (first, last, mom, dad, etc.), and that seems to have been demonstrated to be manageable over time. :) So I think that a four-word Master Password is a good option -- just don't use your family's names :lol:

But we also offer options for temporary authentication, like Windows Hello, so you don't need to type your Master Password every time you open 1Password.

So while we won't be adding a "PIN" option to 1Password for Windows, there are alternatives you can use. :)

• dulap2011
    dulap2011
    Community Member

Thx for your prompt answer. I'll try your four word recommendation, and change it more frequently.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@dulap2011: Please note that 1Password 7 for Windows also supports Windows Hello, which you can use:

Use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password on your Windows PC

I hope it helps. :) Thanks!

++
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

@dulap2011: And just to clarify, there is no need to change it regularly. Changing it means you have to memorize a new one again, and that increases the odds you'll forget it. The only reason to change the Master Password is if it's one you've used elsewhere, someone else knows it, or it's too weak to begin with. Pick a long, strong, unique Master Password, and hang onto it unless there's a problem. No need to burden yourself unnecessarily. :)

This discussion has been closed.