1Password 7 Not Filling Passwords in Firefox

Options

For some time now, I am getting numerous password incorrect errors when logging in on various websites. This occurs using the Ctrl \ keyboard command. I am using Firefox 65.0.2. The password area does fill with the "dots" as expected.

However, once I give up on the Ctrl \ command, and simply go into 1PW and copy the password, then paste into the password area, it works perfectly.

I have tried all the keyboard shortcut in the screencap and they do work.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 1809
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• chris_lemos
    chris_lemos
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, @VirgilBoy

Take a look at this troubleshooting guide if you haven't already. There is a section for auto-filling problems :)!
    Also, did you turn off the built-in password manager in Firefox?

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    Options

The Firefox password manager was already off. I went through the guide...reinstalled the extension, restarted...still problems on some logins I tried. Chose one banking login that I use everyday, that has the error most of the time..recreated the login, but didn't solve this issue.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @VirgilBoy,

Am I right to understand that you have correct username and password saved in your vault, but when you fill the information on the website, you get password incorrect error? If so, this is quite strange.

Does it happen on all websites or some websites in particular? Also, please try to do the same in Chrome and check, if the issue remains there. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    Options

The passwords work perfectly on my Macs. On Windows it is hit & miss. Sometimes it works...sometimes not on various websites.

Just tested Amazon and CapitalOne logins. Both failed using Firefox, Chrome and Opera.

This used to work perfectly when I bought the Windows version of 1PW last summer

• I'm not sure about CapitalOne, @VirgilBoy, as I don't have an account there, but I know Amazon works just fine for me and has generally been one of the more reliable sites. You mentioned a few symptoms here, so I'd like to drill down into some details on those a bit by focusing specifically on Amazon. I know you've had issues elsewhere as well, but it can help to focus on a site we know isn't itself causing a problem. You had mentioned getting an incorrect error, for example. Sometimes, this is the site itself causing trouble. Some sites look for evidence that you've specifically typed in your password and if it's not convinced, it'll say even a correct password is wrong. Amazon doesn't do this, so it's a good one to use for testing.

On Amazon specifically, is it always the case that your username fills fine, but the password doesn't fill at all? Or do you see that something fills and the site is telling you your credentials are incorrect as well? What happens if you press Ctrl + \ then click in the password field after filling – any chance the password fills then? Finally, I saw you mentioned you have the companion extension that works alongside the desktop app, but is there any chance you've installed 1Password X as well? The two extensions don't play well together, so having both installed can give you some trouble. It's worth checking chrome://extensions to be sure. :+1:

Let me know your thoughts and we'll take it from there. :chuffed:

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bundtkate Just tested Amazon.ca again and "your password is incorrect" is the error in Firefox. The password box fills in with dots as expected. The username is visible so I know that is not causing this error. I did use the ctrl \ keyboard command.

Next, I used the 1PW extension window to copy the password. See screenshot. Then pasted into the password area and login to Amazon works. This is the typical scenario I have started running into in the last while on Windows. Never happens on the Mac...including CapitalOne and Amazon.

I do not have 1Password X.

When I was testing last week to post here, Chrome was no different than Firefox. I do not believe it is a browser issue.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @VirgilBoy,

Do you visit Amazon in the browser first and then press Ctrl + \ or you click Amazon URL in 1Password and fill your credentials this way? If it is the former, what exact URL you have saved in your browser?

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• That's extremely odd, @VirgilBoy, I have no trouble at all with that URL. It seems clear to me that an incorrect password must be filling, but it's tough to determine why, especially when it's only Windows giving you trouble. Give this a peek for me:

1. Open and unlock the main 1Password app and find that Amazon Login.
    2. Click "Show web form details" in your item details.
    3. Reveal the password in the web form details and the password in the password field at the top. You can click the arrow by "Copy" and use the "Reveal" button there so they'll stay revealed and compare them.

Do these passwords match? What I'm thinking could be the case is that the password in the web form details is wrong and the one in the password field is right. This is about the only thing I can think up that could possibly account for filling using an incorrect password, but copying working fine. Let me know what you find. I'm sure this goes without saying, but better to be a bit paranoid – I don't need to know what either password is, just whether they match. :+1:

Thanks!

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    Options

And please remember that it is multiple websites where this occurs. I will check when on the PC next.

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    Options

The passwords do match. I also checked the CapitalOne passwords.

So...not the browser because all 3 browsers exhibit the same issue. Not my Vault since the Mac and iOS sides are working properly. No other user has chimed in saying they are seeing this error.

That leaves only 2 possibilities in my opinion. The 1PW app or Windows.

Is there any way to capture and expose what 1PW is filling when using Ctrl \ ?

Please leave me detailed instructions on completely removing 1PW, so I can reinstall next. Of course, I do know how to use the normal Windows uninstall, but I don't know if that would eradicate all pieces of 1PW.

Thanks...

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @VirgilBoy,

Is there any way to capture and expose what 1PW is filling when using Ctrl \ ?

No, for security reasons; we don't want to log or even have an option to do that in the first place as it can be used against you.

Please leave me detailed instructions on completely removing 1PW, so I can reinstall next.

Before we do that, can you reboot into safe mode with networking and see if 1Password works better at all.

I recalled a similar incident a few years ago and it was due to an interference with another security program. Safe mode would reduce the amount of apps running at the same time.

Of course, I do know how to use the normal Windows uninstall, but I don't know if that would eradicate all pieces of 1PW.

The normal uninstall will remove the 1Password program but not your database, which is fine. You would need to uninstall the extension within the browser yourself. We have a guide here; https://support.1password.com/uninstall-1password/

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT We are getting somewhere, thanks to your suggestion. I have done numerous tests while in Safe Boot and no errors occurred. As soon as I rebooted into "normal" Windows, the errors resumed.

As a first attempt, I disabled Sophos Home and tested, but it made no difference. I assume a reinstall of 1PW is not really of much value at this point.

Sophos is the only security I am running, unless it is some Windows process that is causing the issue.

So what ideas do you have at this point??

• Did you reboot (with Sophos disabled) after disabling it, @VirgilBoy? I mention this because depending on how it was interfering (if it was at all), disabling won't correct that interference. To provide an example, if it quarantined a 1Password process, that process will remain quarantined (and thus unusable) after disabling, so a reboot is needed to correct that. You do need to ensure, however, that Sophos isn't simply restarted when you reboot. For this reason, the better test with anti-malware solutions is often to whitelist 1Password in Sophos rather than try disabling the tool.

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate I have been working on the problem and installed another security app in place of Sophos. Their assistance to whitelist 1PW did not help. Assuming I properly understood the links/tips they sent me.

F-Secure (from my ISP) has been installed almost 24 hours and I have done frequent login tests. So far a 100% cure.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @VirgilBoy,

That's great to hear. Unfortunately, this is something that Sophos needs to fix on their side. The fact that they could interfere with your browsing like that is a potential security issue as well.

This discussion has been closed.