New 1Password Mini Design Feedback

Ind3X
Ind3X
Community Member

Hi 1P Team

Here's my initial feedback on the 1password mini (after only 5 min of use).

1. I now have to click more times to get to my required category - accessing secure notes, for instance. Before I could just click the secure notes section in the side panel once and I was where I needed to be with 1 click.
  2. To copy a portion of a note (of a login item), I now need to pin the item before I can do this. The only option is to copy the whole notes section from the initial 1P mini screen, which is often, not what I want to do.

Would be great if this stuff could be addressed. Perhaps a side panel 'list' option in settings and a 'copy' button that is separated from the main body of the notes section of a login item would be useful. It's now more clicks to achieve the same functionality as the previous 1P mini.

Apart from that, the new 1P mini is ok, I guess. Not sure what was wrong with it before, but obviously some people had some issues with it :-/

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

ยซ1

Comments

• Thanks for the feedback, @Ind3X. Can you tell me a little more around why you need to access pieces of secure notes on a regular basis? We certainly didn't optimize for that use case, and I'd like to try and understand how you use this particular functionality.

• Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member

Hi @MrRooni

Are you talking about secure notes (as you mentioned) or copying portions of a note which forms part of a login item? (I guess they are one and the same thing, but I have kind of separated them in my mind).

I find that a bit of a strange question tbh. Let me turn that around and ask youโ€ฆIf there is no need to use any part of a note, then why would you offer a notes option or a copy button at all - In your opinion, are the only use cases to use the entire note contents or none at all? :)

To answer your question. Some financial / banking sites that I use have multi page security prompts/questions, in addition to user/password details. For some of these prompts I store the data in a login item note ad just copy it in when required.

• Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member
    1. No longer able to launch the main 1P app from 1P mini.

:(

• HFTobeason
    HFTobeason
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

Hmmm... Mini is defunct, dead, destroyed... i.e. it no longer fills in data for me... As of the latest beta update (1Password 7.3.BETA-1 (70300001). The first 7.3BETA was fine. -1 killed it.

Safari 12.1 (14607.1.40.1.3)
    macOS 10.14.4 Beta (18E215a)

• MBehr
    MBehr
    Community Member

My impressions for the latest beta release:

1. I no longer have control over the 1password mini window's placement (in the old it remembers the position I put it and is always in the same position). The new beta mini is always in the same position as well, but it is not a position I want or have chosen, as it doesn't remember the last placed position or size
    2. The 1password mini doesn't fill in, so I reverted to the current production version, I'll continue testing once the beta version increments and this is addressed.

Otherwise I like where you're headed, as it seems more streamlined and intuitive.

• rudy
    edited March 2019

@MBehr

1 is not what we're seeing on our side; how are you bringing up mini? are you clicking on the menubar icon or are you invoking via keyboard shortcut?

2 has already shipped as 7.3.BETA-2

• @Ind3X Sorry for the confusion. Let me go back to your original post and try again:

I now have to click more times to get to my required category - accessing secure notes, for instance. Before I could just click the secure notes section in the side panel once and I was where I needed to be with 1 click.

What tasks do you perform that require you to switch to other categories in mini on a regular basis? I ask because we've tried to focus mini down to what it should be really good at: getting your information from 1Password into websites and apps, and generating new passwords. If I can understand what it is you're trying to accomplish we can think about how best to solve for it.

To copy a portion of a note (of a login item), I now need to pin the item before I can do this. The only option is to copy the whole notes section from the initial 1P mini screen, which is often, not what I want to do.

This is a bug and we'll get that fixed up. One of the things I've done to make this task quicker and easier is to put this information into separate fields so I can quickly and easily copy them out, like so:

• MBehr
    MBehr
    Community Member
    1. I use the Safari 1password menu bar icon. This is what I see for current production version (I have sized and positioned 1password mini to show up in this location, which it does when I startup my Mac every time)

1. Installed, and now see the "Pin on screen" when using the Safari 1password menubar icon, which essential puts it back where I want it size and position wise, tho it doesn't remember "Pin on screen" the next time it is invoked, resulting in a large windowed overlay (discovered I can also size the overlay to a smaller version).

I'll experiment further and let you know how it goes.

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

I failed to mention the Adobe Creative Cloud UI style drop down for the Mini UI. I can move it so it does not block other items on my screen. But, unlike the Adobe UI, the 1Password Mini UI disappears and, when re-invoked, is always positioned at the whim of Apple's Menu Bar and 1Password. If you are going to copy the Adobe style, at least do an implicit pin of the torn off and repositioned window.

We are already forced to use the larger main 1Password window if we are frequently accessing objects other than web logins and want a persistent window. Don't tease us with a tear-off dropdown if it will continue to be ephemeral.

Just to be clear, I am a staunch support of 1Password and Agilebits Cloud. Even more, my daily housekeeping and bookkeeping are absolutely dependent on 1Password. My online life has been materially improved by 1Password.

• @MBehr,

If you invoke mini by clicking on either the 1Password icon in the Safari toolbar or the system menubar it will display mini relative to that click. The only way to trigger "always display in this location" would be to make use of the keyboard shortcut command + option + / (or the currently assigned keyboard shortcut you may have changed in 1Password -> Preferences -> General for Show 1Password

We received overwhelming feedback from most people that they wanted to see mini where they clicked, but I can see how the change can be jarring after having been accustomed to how it worked in prior 1Password 7 releases.

Pin on screen isn't about the mini window itself, but rather popping out the details for the currently viewed item into a separate window (typically for editing purposes)

• MBehr
    MBehr
    Community Member

Got it - tho some of us who live on the mouse, and are rarely touching the keyboard if we don't have too. So for me, not always the most efficient, especially when it pops up over the login part of the screen.

I did notice that the 1password mini window had let me resize it smaller, but no longer resize it larger (longer) than a now predetermined "largest" size.

The currently resized (now smaller from originally long size [from my original pinned 1password mini production version window size] when I first installed the updated beta).

And I may try to use the open & login feature to see if that works for me.as opposed to bookmarks - I'll keep testing and providing feedback where I can.

Keep up the good work.

• cwisniewski
    cwisniewski
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

I'm the first to admit that using a preference of some sort to solve every UI behavioral tweak can get out-of-hand. Nevertheless, given that I, too, would prefer that the mini's location be remembered and returned to upon its next invocation, I do not think that the following preference is too egregious a concession:

or, if the user has adjusted the mini's default width and height, and there exists some justifiable reason not to always remember those adjusted values: "Remember 1Password Mini location and size."

• Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

@MrRooni

What tasks do you perform that require you to switch to other categories in mini on a regular basis? I ask because we've tried to focus mini down to what it should be really good at: getting your information from 1Password into websites and apps, and generating new passwords. If I can understand what it is you're trying to accomplish we can think about how best to solve for it.

My most typical use cases for this are:
    1. To access / create gift idea notes that I use when online shopping, or notes that include secret plans or ideas (nothing nefarious! ๐Ÿ˜‡)
    2. A long list of unique(ish) usernames (that I like), that can be pulled up at any time when signing up on new sites.
    3. Seemingly non-descript information / codes, etc. which only mean something to me and nobody else, which I want to keep that way.
    4. Logins and pins / passwords for public WiFi that I frequently use, which gives me fixed credentials and which don't work with autofill - I tend to keep these all in a single note instead of a login item (I could probably find a better solution, but I haven't).
    5. Pins and codes for physical security devices, such as safes / padlocks / key number lists for work, etc.

This is a bug and we'll get that fixed up. One of the things I've done to make this task quicker and easier is to put this information into separate fields so I can quickly and easily copy them out, like so:

Glad to hear it will get resolved. I'll be honest, I didn't realise that the options in the image you posted were available, I've been using the notes section for similar info since I started using the app ~9 years ago ๐Ÿ™„. I'll take a look. Thanks.

• @cwisniewski I admit that I usually don't want to add preferences to an app, but in the case of mini there are some I'm considering. This isn't a promise that they're coming, of course. ๐Ÿ™‚

• @Ind3X Thank you for that breakdown of how you use the different categories in mini. I would be interested to hear how using the search field could accomplish these things for you. Typing the first couple characters of the title of the thing you're looking for should put it right at the top of your list without any extra clicking. And remember, you don't have to click in the search field first, it works just like Spotlight: just start typing.

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

Regarding Secure Notes Copying/Pinning:

I work as an assistant supporting 4 different people. I use Secure Notes to store various info about them in one note (called "PersonName Note"). The note contains their addresses, phone numbers, date of birth, SSN, answers to security questions, employee ID numbers, personal credit cards, frequent flyer numbers, a set of directions I copy and paste in emails for visitors, etc. So, I do copy and paste pieces out of it often. I guess I could make identities or credit card items out of some of these, but well, I don't want their stuff cluttering up the result of my items (since its more convenient to just default to All Vaults instead of switching between my Personal/Work vaults). It was just easier to put them all in one note for that person.

• ssh
    ssh
    Community Member

1Password mini no longer autofills for me. At all. Anywhere. I have to open the full 1Password and copy/paste! Version 7.3.BETA-3 (70300003)

It has the same function in both Safari Version 12.0.3 (14606.4.5) and Chrome Version 72.0.3626.121 (Official Build) (64-bit). Most of the time, Copy from the 1Password mini doesn't work, either (I can't be 100% sure it has failed every time, but I don't know of a time it worked). Is there something I'm supposed to do to make these things work, again?! I started to believe your intent was that 1Password mini no longer auto-filled at all.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

@ssh - please update to the most-recent version (7.3.BETA-3, which shipped on the 14th), and make sure you restart your Mac. Let us know if that still doesn't solve the issues for you. Thanks.

edit -- sorry, I misread; thought you were still on BETA-1. But please re-install the 4.7.3.90 extension for Chrome from our downloads page and restart both Chrome and 1Password. (Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^โŒฅโŒ˜Q or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

@MrRooni said, "... Typing the first couple characters of the title of the thing you're looking for should put it right at the top of your list without any extra clicking. ..."

This may be technically correct, but is not always right. For example, consider the Software License category . Previously, a single click on the Software License category then allowed scrolling if required. Since this is not an every-session action, the exact title may have been created in the "product name" mood or in the "producer" mood. Should I type "agi" or "1P"? However, this pales in comparison to mixed input mode itself:

One should not have to shift from pointing device to keyboard and then back for a single result. A single series of actions on one input device is always better than on a mixed sequence of devices (E.g., mouse on icon, keyboard entry, and, mouse on selection.) Use of only one input device can make a search of a category less physically stressful. Also, the assumption that a search parameter is well-remembered is not always a valid assumption. This is where categories, especially Favorites and Credit Cards shine.

Warning -- Topic shift Category List Order

What user statistics do you have that shows this is the best order for categories? Many of us consider arbitrary ordering of list anathema. 1Password has become a general purpose secure data store with distributed access. Assuming any non-alphanumeric order of categories for a pop-down Menu (keeping Favorites at the top) may actually be less effective than straight alphanumeric listing. What will happen when you figure out how to let us add our own categories?

• Thanks for the feedback here, folks :+1:

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

I quite liked the old 1Password Mini 7. I think what I miss most about it is seeing the list of categories already open down the side. That way I can quickly jump to credit cards, or SSN, or identities, etc.

As a feature suggestion, I'd love to see the ability to "pin" the categories to the side of 1Pw Mini. It can default to the current (collapsed) way, but the interface could then accommodate users who prefer to see the categories at all times, and in fact could accommodate users who prefer to occasionally see all the categories and occasionally have them all collapsed.

• HFTobeason
    HFTobeason
    Community Member

Agree re having all Categories listed - much quicker to click once than to find the dropdown, click, move, click again...

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

It is confusing when the text for 'copy' of a selected item element appears sometimes next to the element and at other times on the right edge of the window. The pale and wan highlighting is not particularly helpful, especially as compared to the relatively high contrast of the text glyphs. Muscle memory becomes an impediment in this situation.

At least three cases should be compared, full app, 1PW mini, and pinned item from 1PW mini. I have not looked for others.

• Thanks for that feedback, @xz4gb8. The way you see it in the new mini window (with the text right-aligned) is how it will eventually be done everywhere.

@HFTobeason and @EnerJi We are looking at some ways to make it easier to quickly jump to another category. Could you let me know under what circumstances you find yourself switching categories? Have you tried typing in text to search for your items instead of switching to the categories?

@ecormany We have made a couple changes to how we match website addresses. We now prioritize exact matches of the website over the item type. That means if you're on billing.amex.com and you have a Login for amex.com, but a Password for billing.amex.com, we're going to fill that Password by default. I don't know that we're going to change this behavior - I believe the new behavior is the more accurate solution - but it's certainly worth discussing. In the meantime, while it would be some work on your part, you would have to make sure your items have up to date website addresses or that you clean up the Password items that you don't need. In the main app you can try clicking on the Help menu > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords to get started.

• HFTobeason
    HFTobeason
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

@MrRooni

I'm doing it just about every single time I invoke Mini...

Ideal for me would be an emulation of the Apple Mail three-column approach --

1st Column: Categories
    2nd Column: Items
    3rd Column: Details

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HFTobeason: That's how the main 1Password app window works. You can always use that. One of the chief criticisms of the (old) new 1Password mini in version 7 was that this was redundant, so we've scaled back a bit to let mini be mini and since the main 1Password app window has the more expanded view. :)

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

Edit: Nevermind. Old new mini is gone, unfortunately. :( I really hope a lot of UX improvements and renewed functionality come to new new mini because as it stands now I just cannot update past 7.2

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't think we've removed anything during the beta process, but if you let us know specifically what you have in mind it's certainly something we can consider. :)

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

Whoopee! Hurrah! 8-)
    I just installed 1Password 7 Version 7.3.BETA-13 (70300013) 1Password Beta.
    It seems to work correctly with

running on macOS 10.14.5 (18F132).

I did have to bang on the Menu Bar icon a few times and do a right click before before the regular click brought up the Mini window while entering this comment, but it finally appeared.

And, yes, there are reasons I do this. For example, to look up a note.

Nice work.

OT for this thread: I'm looking forward to migrating the full width highlighting, as for copy, to 1Password 7 main window.

• rudy
    edited May 2019

@xz4gb8,

I'm fairly certain STP 81 and 7.3.BETA-13 are not a combination that resolves the problems with STP starting with STP 80.

This discussion has been closed.