FIngerprint sign-on option for 1Password no longer showing

Options
dsuitts
dsuitts
Community Member

I have had 1Password installed on my iPhone 6+ for 3 or so years, and other than the initial setup where I entered the Master Password, I have been ONLY using the fingerprint option to open 1Password. Today, however, there was NO fingerprint icon displayed under the Master Password field. And since I haven't used the master password in roughly 3 years, I have forgotten it. Now what do I do? I have NOT changed any of the setting within 1Password, so it shouldn't have taken away the fingerprint option to unlock the app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @dsuitts

Touch ID is not a complete replacement for the 1Password Master Password (just as it is not a complete replacement for the PIN / passcode code for the device). There are instances where even with Touch ID enabled it’ll be necessary to enter the Master Password. That said you may wish to review your settings in 1Password > Settings > Security to be sure 1Password is set up to lock when you’d like it to. Please note that using the ‘Lock Now’ option there will always force the Master Password to be required on next unlock.

Unfortunately if you've forgotten your Master Password there is little we can do to help, other than to help you start over. We do have a guide that may be helpful though and that is available here:

If you forgot your Master Password or you can't unlock 1Password

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• dsuitts
    dsuitts
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Fortunately, I finally remembered the master password thanks to the hint I originally set up, so I'm back in. I double-checked the setting in 1Password to ensure that the Touch ID was set 'on' (icon slide button set to the right), so not sure why the Touch ID was gone/disabled earlier.

That said, you say, "There are instances where even with Touch ID enabled, it'll be necessary to enter the Master Password." In the entire time I've used 1Password (3ish years), other than before I enabled the Touch ID during the initial setup of the app when I got my phone way back when, I don't remember a single time this has happened until today....the Touch ID function has always been displayed. Can you give me some other instances where this will happen, as I am unaware of just why it happened today out of the blue.

Thanks for your time.

• Ben
    Options

@dsuitts

In the entire time I've used 1Password (3ish years), other than before I enabled the Touch ID during the initial setup of the app when I got my phone way back when, I don't remember a single time this has happened until today....

I find it a bit odd that you have been able to go that long without having to enter the Master Password. There are a number of circumstances under which the Master Password may be requested in instead of Touch ID, e.g.:

1. The device has been restarted (including for an iOS update)
    2. The timeout set in 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password
    3. Touch ID was cancelled or interrupted on the previous launch of 1Password
    4. Touch ID doesn't recognize your fingerprint after multiple attempts
    5. You change the settings in the Settings app under Touch ID & Passcode
    6. Touch ID fails for any reason

Thanks for your time.

My pleasure.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.