Difference between Teams and Families

Hey guys,

why would I buy a Families subscription vs a Teams one? My Family could be a "team" :-)

Am I correct that the Teams model only allows shared vaults, whereas Families allows each person an individual value as well as shared? Maybe that's the key.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey, @EB255GTX.

There are a few things that make Teams vs. Families rather different. These are some of these things:

1) Families subscription is $4.99 USD per month for a family of 5 (when billed annually), while Teams, $3.99 USD per team member.
    2) The Families subscription has private as well as shared vaults, just like the Teams subscription.
    3) The Teams subscription has some additional features specifically designed for Admin.
    4) And finally, also important, 1Password Families is for personal use only, so it can't be used for a business or organization.

If you have any other doubt, please let us know :chuffed:

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @EB255GTX!

Like @arturoaubry correctly explained there are quite a few differences between a 1Password Families and a 1Password Teams account. Thank you @arturoaubry!

Am I correct that the Teams model only allows shared vaults, whereas Families allows each person an individual value as well as shared?

No, both a 1Password Families and a 1Password Teams accounts allow you to have your Private vaults and vaults that you share either with your family members or with your team members.

The main difference is that Teams and Business have additional features compared to Families accounts, so your decision will likely happen based on those rather than on the ability to share vaults with your family members.

Let us know if you have any questions!

• Cheers for you helpful information regareding these questions, I've been thinking about these types of questions quite a bit - deciding whether to "upgrade" from a personal account to family one. Because we all know (those of us in IT/security) that the general mentality of majority of people don't rate these types of security hi (if they even think about it at all). I - at least for my immediate family - was going to sort all this out for them. I believe that once it's all in place, an no one else has to make any effort, it will be utilized. (All of which these topics generally fall to (whomevers) "IT guy".

I'm a software engineer, therefore of course I know a decent amount regarding IT/CS/Security/etc but doesn't mean I know everything about it, and even the things I know which are related to - say - security .... I know enough of what I need to know to be good at my job and a coder. I'm not the only one who deals with these things right? Family remembers, close friends, etc. And don't get me started about the crazy (insecure) ways people have been storing their passwords - think: plain text files on their desktop.

Anyway, end of vent!

My question relates to the Team plans for use with myself and a number of close family members. I have read the specs, and online reviews however I believe this is a better place for asking questions. I'm impressed with the functionality and associated pricing of all 1Passwords plans (and in fact have used the individual plan, and business ones - quite happy)! However what I would like to know is on the Family plan, is there a super/root user that controls most? I understand that each people could create their own faults and keep that secret, no problems there.

I also read that (although it didn't go into much detail but) certain types of permissions can be given or revoked when necessary. I would love a more descriptive breakdown of these permissions - it is the basic, I create a vault, share it with others by giving them the usual CRUD assessor? Or can it go deeper than that?

Also if a vault was created by another, shared with me, do I then automatically become "super" user of that vault. Or does it work similarly with how a Super user can give/revoke .... even if I the admin?

I guess my overall concern is these people I would be sharing with and encouraging to use, aren't the most computer literate. So I was the ability to assist/fix any issues which may come up: forgotten passwords, logged out after max. tries, (if setup with physical security keys - Yubikey for example) I want the ability to troubleshoot and resolve their issue. Considering If I am the only computer literate person using and trying to encourage others to use it also, this mean I would be the first port of call for absolutely any issues.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @tyrael! Welcome to the forum!

However what I would like to know is on the Family plan, is there a super/root user that controls most? I understand that each people could create their own faults and keep that secret, no problems there.

You can have Family Organizers, who are basically admin users. They still cannot see other users private information, but they can manage the account, the billing, invite new users, remove existing users and manage vault permissions.

I also read that (although it didn't go into much detail but) certain types of permissions can be given or revoked when necessary. I would love a more descriptive breakdown of these permissions - it is the basic, I create a vault, share it with others by giving them the usual CRUD assessor? Or can it go deeper than that?

In a Families account, you can only assign users permissions to access a vault or not. In Business accounts, you can also choose what type of permissions to give them, at a much more detailed level (read only, write, export etc.)

Also if a vault was created by another, shared with me, do I then automatically become "super" user of that vault. Or does it work similarly with how a Super user can give/revoke .... even if I the admin?

No, you can have access to a vault without being an admin. This means that you will be able to access the vault's contents but you won't be able to invite new people to it or manage the vault itself.

I guess my overall concern is these people I would be sharing with and encouraging to use, aren't the most computer literate. So I was the ability to assist/fix any issues which may come up: forgotten passwords, logged out after max. tries, (if setup with physical security keys - Yubikey for example) I want the ability to troubleshoot and resolve their issue. Considering If I am the only computer literate person using and trying to encourage others to use it also, this mean I would be the first port of call for absolutely any issues.

If you are an admin of the account, you will be able to help them do all these things, including recovering their accounts ;)

• Perfect answer mate! Answered my questions correctly, directly, and in a tone/manner majority of people would understand**. Great job!
    I might indeed come back sometime if I can any questions when one received help like that! :)

** Just as an aside, I have a number of university degree so (well I believe lol) when it comes to technology I have a head for it, nothing surprises me in these terms. So being in a similar profession as yourself, I completely understand how difficult it can be to try to get across/explain a (often) quite technical concept, to those who have no idea.
    So anyway, well done! thumbs up

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Thank you @tyrael, I am happy that I could help :) And thank you for the kind words too!

Absolutely, if you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• As an aside, there is no way to PM on this forum? I would like to ask you a few questions but probably not too appropriate on public access forums.
    (Don't worry, I'm not going to be a creep and make a pass at you or anything creepily like that lol! Just something not for everyone's eye imo)

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@tyrael: Initiating private messages is enabled only for moderators, as it was a problem when users PM'd staff for help and didn't get a response for a long time (or ever) because of that person being away (or no longer working here). Feel free to email [email protected] with any questions, and if you mention me -- brenty -- in the email I'll be notified and can make sure it gets to the right person if I don't have the answer myself. Cheers! :)

• Cheer man. I'll keep those details aside. :)

• brentybrenty

Team Member

:) :+1:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file