1Password on Mac very outdated but says I'm on the latest version

Options
LinuxNtwrkng
LinuxNtwrkng
Community Member

I have a 1Password for Families account and I installed the software on a Mac probably around a year ago now. The application was installed from 1password.com, not the App Store, and automatic updates were enabled.

Imagine my surprise when I went to manually check for updates and discovered that, as near as I can tell, the app has never once updated in this entire time and manually checking for updates says "Thank you for running the latest version of 1Password". I've tried both with and without the option to install beta software checked. That makes no difference.

I know that I could just download the new version from the website and manually install it but I would much rather figure out why it is saying that I'm using the latest version when, according to the release notes and not counting any beta releases, I'm 5 versions behind. Manually installing the latest version now does nothing to inspire confidence that it will grab the next update when it should.

All suggestions appreciated!

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:update

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LinuxNtwrkng! Welcome to the forum!

Version 7.2 introduced a lot of changes, especially when it comes to the browser extension. In order not to break the experience for users who are not running the latest version of the OS, the automatic update won't be triggered in certain cases.

In this specific case, can you please let me know what your Safari version is? If it's anything below 12, this is the reason why you are not able to use the automatic updater :) As you correctly said though, you can certainly do this the manual way even if you are on an older version of Safari, especially if you use another browser as your main browser.

I hope this helps!

• LinuxNtwrkng
    LinuxNtwrkng
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @ag_ana.

Thank you for your response. I would not have expected the Safari or browser extension versions to play into the updates of the standalone portion of the software, especially when I use either Chrome or Firefox more than I use Safari, which is why I didn't fill out those questions when I submitted this.

My Safari version is 12.0.3 and the 1Password Safari extension version is 4.7.3 so, based on what you've said, this should have still updated, correct?

• Ben
    Options

@LinuxNtwrkng

I would not have expected the Safari or browser extension versions to play into the updates of the standalone portion of the software

It does, out of necessity. If we pushed the post-7.2 updates on customers who are not running Safari 12 / Mojave it would break browser integration for them. It is a bit of a catch-22. On the one hand I understand your position. On the other I'd understand the position of customers who updated 1Password and suddenly couldn't use 1Password in Safari. They'd argue that we shouldn't have auto-updated them if the new version wasn't compatible with what they have installed. There will come a tipping point where the adoption rate of Mojave is high enough that we'll go ahead and pull the trigger, and we're likely very nearly there, but we're trying to balance the above concerns.

especially when I use either Chrome or Firefox more than I use Safari, which is why I didn't fill out those questions when I submitted this.

I understand, but the updater doesn't make that distinction. We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser. In this case not keeping up with OS updates is holding you back from keeping up to date with 1Password, though you can update manually. It'll just break Safari integration if you're not using Safari 12.

My Safari version is 12.0.3 and the 1Password Safari extension version is 4.7.3 so, based on what you've said, this should have still updated, correct?

The updater is looking for Mojave, not Safari 12. The long and short of it is we're waiting for people to move to an OS that comes with Safari 12 (Mojave), or a point where we have some confidence that enough time has passed that 10.12 and 10.13 users should have reasonably upgraded to Safari 12. I wouldn't be surprised if that comes in the very near future (e.g. perhaps this week). 7.2+ updates will be coming for 10.13 users first, and then after a short while they will come to 10.12 users.

Ben

• Hi there @LinuxNtwrkng. If you check for updates now you should now see an available update to the latest version of 1Password for Mac. Sorry for the confusion!

• Ben
    Options

I wouldn't be surprised if that comes in the very near future (e.g. perhaps this week).

Apparently today. :)

Ben

• LinuxNtwrkng
    LinuxNtwrkng
    Community Member
    Options

Great. Thank you, Ben, for taking the time to break it down and to everyone for the input on this!

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome @LinuxNtwrkng :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.