Bug report: secret key display is silently truncated when using Large Type

Hi. When attempting to login to my.1password.com on a new machine, I had my older machine at hand, so I could open the 1PW app to get my secret key, which is, as you know, required for a first-time login. On the old machine, I chose Large Type to display the secret key. This resulted in a pop-up window showing only the first 33 characters, which caused me some agita when I got an error message on the new machine about an incorrect secret key. Eventually, I was able to figure out what was going on, but I do think it's worth reporting this issue. The problem is not only that the displayed key is truncated, it's that there is no indication that it has been truncated. No horizontal scrollbar, no textual cues, no automatic resizing of the text size in the pop-up window to accommodate the full key.

A comparatively minor thing, to be sure, but I thought you might like to hear about it.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 7 Home Premium
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:secret key truncated

Comments

• bjkeefe
    bjkeefe
    Community Member

A follow-up: one other option to resolve the problem, apart from the three mentioned in my initial post, would be to do what happens when Large Type is used on my.1password.com: wrap the text to a second line.

• Hey, @bjkeefe! Thanks for reporting this. There actually is a horizontal scroll bar but, like in other areas of 1Password for Windows, it's only visible when you hover your mouse over the window. That said, I can totally see this being a bit confusing if your screen size simply isn't able to accommodate the full key, so perhaps we can do something to help here in a future update. I'll be sure to pass your feedback along to the team. :chuffed:

• bjkeefe
    bjkeefe
    Community Member

Thanks, Kate. Sorry I did not notice your reply until just now.

• bjkeefe
    bjkeefe
    Community Member

(And yes, now I see the scrollbar, when hovering. Thanks again.)

• No worries, @bjkeefe! Our sincere hope is that you won't need to manually type your Secret Key often at all because it's a somewhat miserable experience, so I'll take the fact that you survived so long without my reply to mean we're at least enjoying a measure of success on that front. :wink: I'm glad I could help and please do let me know if I can do anything else to lend a hand. :chuffed:

• bjkeefe
    bjkeefe
    Community Member

@bundtkate: Heh, no, as far as I can recall, I've only had to type the SK when installing 1PW on a new device.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed! And in many cases you can scan your Setup Code so you don't have to fill it even to sign in the first time. But doing it now and then isn't so bad either. Heck, if I get a new device that's a small price to pay -- both figuratively and monetarily! :lol:

This discussion has been closed.