1password versions and upgrade on mac and windows so confusing

2»

Comments

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

I still don't understand why you think my migration and setup is the hard way, by my choice. I had to have stand alone to migrate my stand alone data to the cloud 1p app. This was a required step, otherwise I would have nothing migrated.
    I also needed stand alone as far as I can tell, to get the Safari extension, since I could not find it anywhere else to add to my Safari. So, as far as I can tell, I do need to still have a stand alone in existence, even if I never use it. If you are saying I can now remove my stand alone from my Mac, and I will still have my Safari plugin, then I'd like to know if that is the case. Since the Safari plugin only comes with stand alone, I assume stand alone is required to exist on my Mac for that Safari plugin to function.
    I've had all my data migrated since the first night I created my cloud login.
    I do not use my stand alone's local vaults as I have said before. The local vaults simply "exist" in the stand alone because I chose not to delete them yet. But again, I keep saying I am not actually using the local vaults. All I am using is the cloud vaults, and I even have everything configured to not even show me the stand alone's local vaults, not even in stand alone.
    I was not confused at all by migration. Your steps and video simply was wrong for my installed configuration, as it did not match what I saw on my computer when following its steps. So from that sense it was confusing.
    Am I using the wrong 1password terminology to describe things to you guys? Is that why you're not getting my comments most of the time? I don't live 1password like you guys do, so I'm sorry if I'm not calling things by the right names. But to me, it seems clear about what I've been saying.
    In summary, just as an effort to be as clear as I can. I have 1p stand alone 7 installed on my Mac. I don't use it, but it exists because I used it to migrate my data and because I believe it has to exist for Safari extension to work. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    My data is all migrated and all is well. I am not confused about how to use my cloud subscription. Things are working. Nothing is harder than for anyone else who uses the cloud subscription. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I still don't understand why you think my migration and setup is the hard way, by my choice. I had to have stand alone to migrate my stand alone data to the cloud 1p app. This was a required step, otherwise I would have nothing migrated.

@ckp: My question was if you still have that "stand alone" data. If you do, and you already have your data in your 1Password membership account now, you don't need the "stand alone" vault anymore, and it will only cause you trouble in the future if you don't remove it, as outlined in the migration guide. :)

I also needed stand alone as far as I can tell, to get the Safari extension, since I could not find it anywhere else to add to my Safari. So, as far as I can tell, I do need to still have a stand alone in existence, even if I never use it. If you are saying I can now remove my stand alone from my Mac, and I will still have my Safari plugin, then I'd like to know if that is the case. Since the Safari plugin only comes with stand alone, I assume stand alone is required to exist on my Mac for that Safari plugin to function.

That's not correct. Lars explained already that the Safari App Extension is included in the Mac app (which in turn is included in the membership), but I think you misread his comments there. I also explained this again in my last reply to you:

You do need to pay in order to use the latest version of 1Password for Mac, which includes the Safari App Extension...but that's either by purchasing a "standalone" license for that specific version, or as part of a 1Password membership which includes all the apps. In case there's some confusion about this, the app is the same in both cases.

But if you'd like me to clarify anything, let me know. :)

I've had all my data migrated since the first night I created my cloud login. I do not use my stand alone's local vaults as I have said before. The local vaults simply "exist" in the stand alone because I chose not to delete them yet. But again, I keep saying I am not actually using the local vaults. All I am using is the cloud vaults, and I even have everything configured to not even show me the stand alone's local vaults, not even in stand alone.

That sounds pretty good...but you could easily save something into a local vault by accident, and not realize it until too late -- or realize it only after troubleshooting a mysterious "missing item" issue later on, having to retrace your steps, and costing yourself a lot of time and energy. That's what I'm trying to avoid. Is there a specific reason you won't remove the local vault, even though all of your data is in the account?

I was not confused at all by migration. Your steps and video simply was wrong for my installed configuration, as it did not match what I saw on my computer when following its steps. So from that sense it was confusing.

While it isn't possible for us to account for every different thing various users may see based on their setups, I am sorry that it was confusing, and glad that you got in touch to ask for help. :blush:

Am I using the wrong 1password terminology to describe things to you guys? Is that why you're not getting my comments most of the time? I don't live 1password like you guys do, so I'm sorry if I'm not calling things by the right names. But to me, it seems clear about what I've been saying.

I think there may be some miscommunication regarding Safari since, frankly, it's a bit awkward to talk about, as the old thing was called a "Safari extension" and the new thing is a "Safari App Extension". We might have chosen nomenclature differently, but we're not Apple and it isn't up to us...and maybe we'd have ended up causing some other kind of confusion anyway. :lol: Regardless, I am sure we use other terms that can be confusing too, and I'm sorry about that. If there's something in particular you'd like me to define better, let me know so I can explain, and so we can discuss it as a team in case there's something we can change that would help you and others. :)

In summary, just as an effort to be as clear as I can. I have 1p stand alone 7 installed on my Mac. I don't use it, but it exists because I used it to migrate my data and because I believe it has to exist for Safari extension to work. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My data is all migrated and all is well. I am not confused about how to use my cloud subscription. Things are working. Nothing is harder than for anyone else who uses the cloud subscription. :)

At the end of the day, it's up to you. But please take my comments above to heart. I literally help people all day who do the same thing, thinking it won't cause them trouble, who later find that it does; so I just want to help you avoid ending up in that position in the future if I can. I'm sure you have better things to do. :)

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

so the confusion about the stand alone safari extension thing seems to be all around terminology. when I login to the 1p web I see the Get 1password Apps thing and one listed for "1password for Mac". All the time I assumed that was actually an app for my Mac as in the stand alone "app". But actually it seems to be an "app" that is not stand alone but is for my Mac and supposedly has the Safari support. So this is just furthering my conclusion that there are so many "apps" and 1p products and terminologies floating around that it's royally confusing to the end user.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ckp: I'd argue that the confusion is that there is no such thing as a "stand alone Safari extension". We're discussing something that doesn't exist now, and that can definitely be confusing! :lol:

This is really pretty simple if you break it down:

• On a Mac, you can use 1Password for Mac -- a native Mac desktop application:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-mac/

• This has a companion desktop extension for integration with web browsers:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

• It works the same in either case, but this must be installed separately for Chrome, Firefox, etc.:

https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

• Whereas the way Safari and macOS are designed, the Safari App Extension is bundled into the Mac app, so there is no separate install for that -- its built into 1Password for Mac itself.

Does that help? :) Again, we don't define the terminology for Safari, macOS, etc., but hopefully that makes things a bit clearer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

@scofficial: I don't think I've been in communication with you before, so you'll need to let me know what you're referring to. Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @scofficial,

Have you been able to find the version that you have now? Please let us know. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.