Feature Request: Security Question Generator, Username Generator, Less Thinking.

Joseph Thornton
Joseph Thornton
Community Member

Dear 1Password team,

Please stop making me think when it comes to logins. Would absolutely adore the ability to have a random username and password generated without the need for me to think of something. I thought this app was supposed to make it so I stop having to think and remember things I don't need in my head. Usernames, passwords and security questions are a few of these things I'd LOVE to stop thinking of and worrying about. Please make my dream of 1-click instant logins to annoying things like utilities etc. and just generate the username along with the password.

Would LOVE the ability to manage security questions as well. A lot of my co-workers and peers use 1Password to randomly generate security questions and answers, but there is a lot of typing and clicks involved.

Thanks so much for being so awesome over the years!

• JT

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

The password generator in its Words format is one possibility for doing this.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Joseph Thornton!

Thank you very much for taking time to to share this feedback! I can see how this could be useful to you.

Would absolutely adore the ability to have a random username and password generated without the need for me to think of something.

@danco is absolutely correct. You can already generate a random password with password generator. You can do that by clicking on the button Generate New Password under the password box. The system will automatically generate and fill your new password. However there is no option to generate a random user name, since most of the time the username is actually your email address or name.

Would LOVE the ability to manage security questions as well. A lot of my co-workers and peers use 1Password to randomly generate security questions and answers, but there is a lot of typing and clicks involved.

1Password can already help you with this. Because you can create custom sections and fields, you can create a section for security questions, and turn those fields into "password" fields, and have 1Password generate random security answers for you :)

I hope this helps!

• Joseph Thornton
    Joseph Thornton
    Community Member

@ag_ana thanks for the workarounds and the quick response!

@danco Lastpass has a Username Generator that has some ideal features along those lines like "Easy to Say" or "Easy to Read"

@ag_ana I could see this being a useful security enhancement as well because any time there is a breach, one thing I always observe is checking to see if that username re-uses passwords on multiple sites. Randomizing the usernames would simply be adding another layer of security and convenience for users.

Again, thanks for taking the time to read this!

• JT
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Joseph Thornton

Thank you for the feedback!

I could see this being a useful security enhancement as well because any time there is a breach, one thing I always observe is checking to see if that username re-uses passwords on multiple sites.

For completeness: you can already do this with Watchtower. It will tell you what websites have been found in a breach, regardless of whether the username is random or not (or if it is simply your email address) :)

This discussion has been closed.