Use Mac and iPW6 - no response to login on 1 item.

Options
PatrickHenry
PatrickHenry
Community Member

I was forced to change user name and password on ComEd account. ComEd login works well from iMac and ComEd but only response on 1PW is a dull bell-like sound. NO noise or response on small extension at top of screen.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @PatrickHenry

Could you please provide us with the URL to the login page in question, as well as the requested version information?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided

Thanks. :)

Ben

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member
    Options

URL: comed.com
    1PW Version: 6.8.9
    OS Version: 10.14.3
    Extension Version not found

Thanks

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, but I cannot find the Extension Version.

Thanks,

Patrick Henry

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PatrickHenry - the "dull, bell-like sound" you're hearing is an alert tone from your Mac. It happens usually when the user has attempted to perform an operation that can't be performed. Like, say, being at the very beginning of a document and trying to back-space. You'll hear the "bell" in such cases. In this case, with 1Password, there isn't anything I can think of that might be causing such an error. You might want to check 1Password to see if you're maybe in the middle of editing a different item, but other than that, I'd suggest restarting your Mac and trying again. Let us know what you discover! :)

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help Lars but nothing has changed. I still only get the "bonk" sound and cannot connect through 1PW. Fortunately, I can work around 1PW by using URL, UserID and password. I have had to do this in the past do I will continue.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PatrickHenry!

While you certainly can do this manually for this website, we would love to understand what is causing this so you can just use 1Password to do this :) When exactly do you hear this bell sound? Is it when you try to fill your login in the website, or somewhere else?

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - The "bonk" sound will appear immediately when User Name or Password are selected on the left side of screen. When I attempt to connect using the mini, there is no sound but, alas, no connections occurs either. Thanks for any ideas.
    Patrick Henry

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PatrickHenry - can you perhaps take a screenshot of what you’re referring to? Don't include any personal information, obviously, but I'm still not sure what you mean by "selected on the left side of the screen." In what app? You mean the left side of the active window? Thanks in advance.

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

As requested - note ! [identifying image removed by AgileBits, this is a public forum]

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PatrickHenry - thanks for that. I had to remove the image since it contained a number of your personal accounts and usernames. So this error sound happens to you only on the ComEd website, when you try using Go & Fill by clicking the item in the list of 1Password 6 for Mac's main window? No other items exhibit this behavior?

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, your summation is correct - it only happens on ComEd.
    Patrick Henry

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019
    Options

@PatrickHenry - OK. That means things are functioning properly in general. Please try re-saving your ComEd login, manually, using these instructions; let us know how/if that works for you (I was able to get 1Password to successfully Go & Fill ComEd (using dummy data, of course) via that method.

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member
    Options

Cannot locate "Save New Login". Should I trash the ComEd entry and attempt to begin from nothing? Now I still receive the dreaded "bonk"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PatrickHenry: Maybe you don't have 1Password setup in your browser at all then. Can you tell me specifically which step here you're getting stuck on?

https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/

And also the exact browser and extension versions you're using:

https://support.1password.com/update-extension/

If you really don't have it installed, be sure to do that:

https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

This guide will help you familiarize yourself with using it:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

Let me know how you get along. :)

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member
    Options

Brent - Thanks for your assistance. Browser Version: Safari 12.1; Extension Version: Tech Net Search Version 1.0.
    On page 2 of "How to save a Login manually in your browser," Instruction 4 says click {gear symbol} and choose Save New Login. Neither is found. I am getting stuck when attempting to open item ComEd (Electric Utility Company). This is the only item of approximately 85 which will not open through 1PW, receiving only a boink sound. NOTE: When attempting to open this item on the mini (Extension) there is no sound but it does not open. I have not done anything with the 3rd and 4th suggestions above as I did not want to confuse anything by barreling ahead. Also, I have doubts about the Extension Version cited above. Thanks, Patrick Henry

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PatrickHenry - yes, "tech net search" isn't anything we produce; that's not what we were asking after. If you open Safari's Preferences > Extensions, do you see 1Password there? If so, is it "turned on" (i.e. - is the box next to it checked)? If the answer to both those questions is yes, then when you look at Safari's menubar, you should see the 1Password extension there. Clicking it should bring up the mini. At the top right of the mini, there should be that gear icon brenty mentioned. Click it, then cilck "Save New Login" in the resulting drop-down, like this:

Follow the instructions we gave for saving a login manually, and let us know how that works for you.

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member
    Options

Lars - Sorry but the attached screenshot is what appears if I open Safari>Preferences>Extensions.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PatrickHenry,

The 1Password browser extension is missing from your Safari browser. Can you please install it from here first? It should then show up in your Safari extensions tab.

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you - the 1PW browser extension seem to function with one caveat . If I attempt to connect using the non-extension route I still receive only a "boink" sound from the one item that will not connect (ComEd). If I attempt login through the 1PW extension, I receive no sound but connection fails. The gear symbol and "Save new login" have not appeared but I suspect they would if I attempt a new login. Is that assumption correct. As the ComEd item remains the only login item which does not function I believe that a problem must be lurking in that item's entry. I realize that nobody like to do it, I think that problem might be best addressed by trashing the ComEd entry and re-entering. Please advise if you feel that is a legitimate solution. Thanks to all for the assistance - Patrick Henry

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PatrickHenry

I think that problem might be best addressed by trashing the ComEd entry and re-entering. Please advise if you feel that is a legitimate solution.

Indeed, this is what I was suggesting previously with the manual login instructions in my earlier post. You can use 1Password mini to do that; you don't have to click the extension in your browser. Click the 1Password mini icon in your Mac's menubar, then go ahead and follow the instructions.

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, The effort to re-enter ComEd has failed 6 times. I insists on sending me back to the ComEd sign in page, then does not allow me to enter through 1PW. I have attempted several combos of username/passwords with the same result. I chose "Strong P{password" because 1PW appeared to insist that I must. I think it is best if I find another manner (outside 1PW) to store info for ComEd.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PatrickHenry - I can't tell what's going wrong with your setup, Patrick, but I have no such problems here with ComEd. So here's what I'd like you to do: click this link to download a .1pif export of the successful Login item I made for ComEd. It's in a zip file, so you may have to double-click it to unzip it. Then, in 1Password, click File > Import and import the unzipped .1pif file into your vault. Replace my dummy username and password with your real ones and save the item. Then see if that works for you. You may need to use the ⌘\ command to fill the data, but it should work for you just as well as it has for me.

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member
    Options

Lars - Thanks but no luck. I will explain where the bottom falls out later today, I must attend an appointment so talk to you later.
    Thanks for the attempt. Patrick Henry

• Ben
    Options

We'll await your reply. :)

Ben

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to all who assisted. The problem is now solved as I found an easy solution with Khad on U Tube.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PatrickHenry That's great to hear! To help other users, do you mind posting the solution for them, in case they find this discussion in the future?

Thank you!

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I thought I had posted the requested solution. I stumbled across a You Tube presentation by Khad. I believe that I seem to respond more readily to visual presentations. Then again maybe it is just my imagination. Again, heartfelt thanks to all who provided assistance.
    Patrick Henry

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Totally! I know you're not alone. :) Our buddy Khad makes a lot of helpful videos for us, so I don't blame you for not remembering which one specifically. Heck, watch them all! ;)

YouTube: 1Password

And we're here if you need us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.