Force Sync

For the most part the Sync in 1password works really well - I get the updates almost instantly after a change is made.
But a tiny percent of the time, it doesn't work, I've updated a password in 1Password X and it's not showing up in 1Password for Windows.
When this happens, basically I have to close the entire app, login again, and that forces a sync which fixes the problem.

It would be really nice if there was just a button that I could press which forces the sync to occur

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• GregGreg

Team Member

Hi @cpmcgrath,

I am sorry to hear you are having troubles with sync!

The next time it happens, please try to lock/unlock 1Password 7 for Windows in order to sync changes you've made in 1Password X. Let me know if it works.

You can also try to use our standard extension, instead of 1Password X, and check, if it works better for you. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• I've been getting this issue periodically since I signed up with the cloud service (and again today, on 7.3.684).

I don't consider locking and unlocking or creating a dummy secure note to be a user friendly way of forcing a sync. I don't know why you can't just add a menu option or button to force a sync if you can't guarantee sync reliability on Windows.

This issue is easily my number one gripe since you offered the subscription service. I've been using 1PW for years before the switch to the subscription model, and when I was using Dropbox sync, syncing was way more reliable than it is now.

• bundtkatebundtkate

Team Member

The reason we don't want too easy an option to force a sync is precisely because folks will choose to use that rather than reaching out to find the root cause, @slantyyz. We can't fix what we don't know about and we humans will near universally choose a quick fix over identifying the root of a problem. We're busy people, of course, so we understand sometimes a quick fix is needed and are more than happy to share options to do that when necessary, but ultimately it's really important to us to hear about and have a chance to look into any longstanding sync problem. We can't guarantee reliable sync without knowing what's causing sync issues folks are seeing in the first place. Without feedback from y'all, we're left with "Well, it works on my PC ..." and that's never a reliable measure of whether or not something is truly working as it should.

So, if you're seeing sync problems, let us know. Even if they're small. If it's an issue on our end, we want to fix it. If it's something not playing nice with your network configuration, we want to help you get things working more reliably and investigate what we can do to avoid such issues in the first place. To that end, it would be really great if you could create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to [email protected] and include a link to this thread in the body of your e-mail. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. For bonus points, post that number here so I can track down your diagnostics quickly and take a look.

Once I see the diagnostics, I'll see if we can't put these sync troubles to bed once and for all. :+1:

• Listen, I get it. I write software and I want to know what bugs are in my software too.

But wow, your response is so patronizing.

It should be up to the customer to decide whether to report something or not. 1Password is not free software. I've been paying for licenses/renewals/subscription for a long time now. It's already frustrating enough to see how the Windows and Android clients are second class citizens compared the Mac/iOS versions.

I had to waste time during my work day googling "how to manually sync 1Password for Windows" and sift through results to find a workaround all while I had an immediate problem to solve. I am pretty sure that before you changed to a subscription model, there was a force sync button on the Windows and Android clients.

You're basically telling me you're OK inconveniencing a paying customer and making them do work for you (as though our time isn't worth anything). You make it sound like you couldn't find a compromise solution either. It's not as if you couldn't put a force sync button that pops up a modal that gives the user an option to submit additional info or not.

• GregGreg

Team Member

Hi @slantyyz, it is Greg again. I am sorry for the miscommunication here.

I am sure Kate had no intention to sound patronising or condescending and I apologise if it looks like it.

We strive for the seamless sync for all of our customers, so if it doesn't behave correctly (and sync is very important), we want to learn more about those situations and investigate what is going south in order to improve 1Password.

I re-read your initial post and you say that you bump into this sync issue periodically. Is it possible that 1Password 7 doesn't sync your data after you wake up your computer from sleep? I can totally understand that you don't want to spend your own time troubleshooting these issues, but if you shared a Diagnostics Report, it would be really really helpful.

I will also pass your suggestion about adding sync button to our team, so we could have an internal discussion. Let us know if you have any other questions, we are always here for you. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• jdhayes117jdhayes117 Junior Member

I second the option to add a "Force Sync" capability. I just updated a key password on my Mac. It has not yet shown up on my iPhone. I've gone to Preferences:Sync and it tells me that the last sync was 23 minutes ago. I need the password now and I have no way, short of closing and reopening, to force it to update. For most updates, this is fine. Right now it is not.

• bundtkatebundtkate

Team Member

This topic is specifically discussing 1Password 7 for Windows, @jdhayes117. 1Password for iOS, specifically when using a standalone vault, does have an option to sync now. Tap Settings > Sync and you should see a "Sync now" option under each vault you have in your app. With standalone vaults, we don't control the sync service so it's a bit of a different animal in that respect.

There is no "Sync Now" in the Mac version either. I assume that the iOS version is syncing with whichever Cloud Sync capability that is enabled (in my case, iCloud). If my Mac hasn't synced to iCloud, and I have no way to force it to do that, then having my phone sync with the cloud version does not help. Same for Windows or Mac.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@jdhayes117:

Much like 1Password for Windows, in 1Password for Mac you can also force a sync by locking and unlocking the password app, should you need that.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Indeed, you can have 1Password send the data to iCloud...but it's entirely up to iCloud as far as when that is sync'd to other devices.

Yes, you are correct, I could lock and unlock it. Or I could write it down and manually type it in, or I could take a screen shot and email it or I could or I could or I could. The point is, all of those actions are the equivalent of adding a “Sync now” capability to 1PW...as already exists in your mobile versions. And to brenty’s comment about the cloud service, when the cloud syncs it to my other devices is true whether that is iCloud, the 1 PW cloud, Google’s cloud, MSofts cloud, etc. The point is, until it gets to the cloud, I’m stuck. And the simplest solution is add a “Sync Now” function. Finally, if you are so concerned about not capturing a sync problem with 1PW, make the app report to the mothership every time someone hits “Sync Now”. You’ll get better data that way.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@jdhayes117: For a 3rd party service, we don't have control over whether such a button would actually do anything. iCloud is a good example of that. :lol: Also,

if you are so concerned about not capturing a sync problem with 1PW, make the app report to the mothership every time someone hits “Sync Now”. You’ll get better data that way.

If sync isn't working, that's because the connection is failing, so we would actually get no data at all. if clicking a "sync" button worked to "report to the mothership", then 1Password could just sync the data anyway.

For our own 1Password service, while we could certainly add a button and some people who like buttons would be very happy with that, it's important to remember that most people want sync to actually just work without them having to even think about it, much less take an action. Adding a button would just be glossing over a problem that is either solvable by us and thus worthy of investigation, not ignoring it and making the user click; or it wold not help anyway, if the problem is something in the user's network environment (proxy, firewall, "security" software) -- you could click all day and it would still either work or it wouldn't, depending on factors entirely outside of 1Password.

All of that is to say, if you're actually having an issue with the 1Password service syncing, please let us know the specifics so we can see what we can do to improve it for you and for others. <3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file