Locating and moving password library from time machine backup of crashed primary computer

Options
pperera1
pperera1
Community Member

My older 2011 Mac Pro just crashed yesterday with the iPassword 7 program installed containing all my prior passwords, I do have a recent back up of the primary hard drive of the machine on a separate drive from a time machine backup. Is it possible to find the file vault containing these passwords and to import them into another iPassword program that I had installed on my mac laptop a few months prior? Where would the file be located on the Mac time machine backup of the hard drive and how do I access it and bring the passwords into my alternate computer library? Otherwise I am afraid that I have lost all my passwords that I use on a regular basis which would be a big problem...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pperera1: Just to make sure we're on the same page, this is the 1Password support forum. If you're using a different piece of software, we're not going to be able to help with that.

If you are using 1Password though, it would be helpful to know as much of the requested information you left out of your post as possible: OS, 1Password, and extensions versions, along with if/how you were syncing your data. Without even a ballpark as to the 1Password version, I'd be sending you on a wild goose chase if I tried to guess where you should look; and there may be a better option depending on the rest. For example, were you using a 1Password membership subscription account? Or did you just purchase a license for a specific version of the standalone app to use with a local vault? Thanks in advance! :)

• pperera1
    pperera1
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, this was 1Password (my mistake as I live near SF and everything here is i...)
    My Mac OS was Sierra 10.12. The 1Password was purchased in 10/2015 as 1Password 5 with a license key, and then updated with every automatic update pushed to my Mac (most recent was this month). Would this mean updates to my original 1Password version 5? or was I automatically updated to V 7? (which I recently purchased separately on my Mac laptop (my second computer) with an annual membership). The version 7 on my laptop Mac does look different than the program I had on my tower MacPro, so I suspect it was version 5 with updates that I had on my MacPro. I apologize as I cannot get more information as requested as my MacPro computer completely crashed yesterday and the Mac genius bar folks pronounced it dead of unknown complications without possibility of resuscitation. If I can locate the MacPro 1Password file vault on my last hard drive backup using time machine (mirroring the primary hard drive on the computer) and import it into my newer laptop version of 1Password, that would save me having to change every user id and password that I have (which I have started doing-but is a slow process). Thanks!

• pperera1
    pperera1
    Community Member
    Options

Oh and I just was able to find the latest applications library from the dead computer, which indicates that it was 1Password 6. Any ideas where the password vault file on the HD might be stored in this version given the Mac OS above?
    Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pperera1!

If you have a Time Machine backup, we should be able to recover your passwords from there :) The location of the 1Password data changes depending on what version of the 1Password app you were using (if you downloaded from the Mac App Store, for example, or directly from our website).

If you could let me know where you were receiving updates from, I can tell you where to look in your Time Machine backup :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019
    Options

@pperera1: No need to apologize! I totally understand that you're in a position where you don't have a lot. I just want to give you the best answer I can, and not send you down the wrong path. The additional details you've provided help a bit. :)

If you were syncing your data, that would be easiest as it probably wouldn't be necessary to dig through backups. Otherwise, if you were using 1Password for Mac version 5 or 6 purchased from our website, you would find its data in the following location:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ (versions 5 and 6 use the same folder)

Inside that folder will be a folder called "Backups", which will contain periodic backup archives the desktop app saves. They're dated and list the number of items in them, so generally you'll want to grab the newest. But to save yourself some digging if you grab the wrong one initially, it might be better to just copy that whole Backups folder to your current Mac's desktop so you have everything.

The backup archives will each be named something like 1Password 2019-03-22 10_55_27 (2 profiles, 12 items, 0 folders, 11 attachments).1p4_zip. When you have a recent one that would include your data, open the 1Password app and go to File > Restore. There you can select "Find Backup" and choose the backup archive you found above to add it to the list, and the select it and "Restore" it.

That may do it for you right there, but if you encounter an issue let me know any additional details you can and we'll go from there. :)

• pperera1
    pperera1
    Community Member
    Options

I had originally bought the 1Password V 4 with license key directly from the AgileBits website in 2014. I then purchased the 1Password V 5 with license key from the AgileBits website in 2015 (neither purchased from the Mac application store). I believe that I was receiving subsequent regular automatic updates to the program directly from your website. As I mentioned, I believe that the website had updated me to V 6 by the time of my computer loss yesterday. The updates to that version would again have come from your website, with the latest automatic update pushed from 1Password over the last month. The Mac OS I was using was Sierra 10.12 and my computer was a 2011 MacPro. I have scoured the last time machine backup copy, looking through the Library using information from prior posts and from a google search without success. If I can locate the 1Password file vault on that time machine hard drive backup, I am hoping to then import my prior 1Password login library into the newer 1Password V 7 on my laptop Mac that I purchased in 2018 with an annual subscription. Any thoughts?

• pperera1
    pperera1
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your return post. I think my comments above crossed your response.
    I did look through the latest time machine backup copy of the failed Mac hard drive and found Library/Applications but then could not find 1Password folder in there. I can see 1Password 6 in my time machine Applications folder. I moved that application file to my laptop. I then opened the 1Password V 6 application and can view a folder called: 1Password 2018-10-30 145922 (306 items).agilekeychain_zip
    This file appears to have 7.6 mb of data but I cannot view it or import it into 1Password 7 using the import, use mac app profile. Am I going down the wrong path or is there another way to proceed with this data?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pperera1: I meant to mention this earlier as well, but thought maybe it might get us off track while we were focusing on the important matter of you recovering your data. But to clarify, 1Password 7 is not offered as an update to earlier versions. It is either a paid upgrade for a license for that specific version, or included as part of a 1Password membership. But that's something we can deal with later, after the important work is done. :)

Getting back to the data, what you've found here -- 1Password 2018-10-30 145922 (306 items).agilekeychain_zip -- is a backup from 1Password 3. That's probably not what you want, as it would only include data in 1Password 3, nothing newer. And I'm guessing you've saved things in 1Password 5 and 6 since then (ignore the date, because that just means you've had 1Password 3 still around running, dutifully making backups of old data, until late last year).

So that's probably a bit of a red herring. But you can easily load that data into 1Password just to make sure:

1. Rename 1Password 2018-10-30 145922 (306 items).agilekeychain_zip to 1Password 2018-10-30 145922 (306 items).zip -- the file extension must be .zip
    2. Right click it and Open With > Archive Utility to decompress it
    3. Open 1Password and go to File > Import > 1Password Keychain to load its data

Probably not what you want, but maybe it's a good alternative if you really don't have a more current backup of your 1Password data.

Backing up a bit, you say you "found Library/Applications but then could not find 1Password folder in there"...but then where did you get that backup archive from?

When you open ~/Library/Application Support/ (you said Library/Applications -- that's definitely the wrong place), you would have a folder called 1Password for version 3 and/or 1Password 4 for versions 4/5/6. That's what we're looking for.

Alternatively, were you maybe using the Mac App Store version of 1Password, not the one from our website?

Finally, I hate to be a pain and mention it again, but it would be good to get a confirmation on this question: what, if any, sync method were you using for your 1Password data?

Thanks! :)

• pperera1
    pperera1
    Community Member
    Options

I am still struggling and cannot get the above suggested actions to work.
    Is there a better way that I can get support from 1Password as I am frustrated about the loss of my data?
    You ask if I bought the program from the Mac application store, but I am pretty sure that I bought it from your website as I have the receipts.
    I think I should have done a better job backing up my data (you refer to this as synching), which I did by doing regular time machine backups (apparently not good enough).
    Is there a way that I can work directly with one of your techs on this? Either by phone or video chat (I do have a zoom account and can show my computer screen while video connecting). I will send you an E-mail to further discuss as I think I need more help than offered o the forum.
    Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pperera1

I am still struggling and cannot get the above suggested actions to work.

Where exactly are you getting stuck? If you can let us know at what step you are facing issues, we can send you some suggestions.

I think I should have done a better job backing up my data (you refer to this as synching), which I did by doing regular time machine backups (apparently not good enough).

Syncing does make things easier when you want to switch to a new device, or if a device you have is not available anymore, but if you have a Time Machine backup, you should be able to recover everything anyway, albeit with some more steps :)

Were you able to find the ~/Library/Application Support/ folder that Brenty mentioned? Your latest 1Password information should definitely be in there.

Is there a way that I can work directly with one of your techs on this? Either by phone or video chat (I do have a zoom account and can show my computer screen while video connecting). I will send you an E-mail to further discuss as I think I need more help than offered o the forum.

We will be happy to help you via email if you prefer! Once you have emailed us, please post here your ticket number so we can "connect the dots" and continue helping over there :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pperera1: Thanks for following up. I'm not trying to be a pain. I just meant that if you'd actually been using the Mac App Store version that wold explain why the data would not be in that location. There are only three reasons you wouldn't find the 1Password folder in ~/Library/Application Support/ there:

• Using the App Store version
    • Deleted the 1Password support folder
    • Excluded the 1Password support folder from backup

Could you take a screenshot of what you see when you view that folder? To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• pperera1
    pperera1
    Community Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

Thanks to both of you. I did send in an E-mail request for help last night.
    I was wondering if it is possible to set up a one on one support session to figure this out, as it has taken me hours so far with no results.
    I mentioned some alternate approaches in the E-mail. Hopefully, someone will get to it soon...

ref: TNU-14821-243

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

While I'm happy to guide you, it's not something we can do for you. It's your data, and we rightly never have access to it. Let's continue the conversation via email to avoid having the same conversation in multiple places at once, which can cause confusion and slow down the support process for everyone.

This discussion has been closed.