Password generator not appearing when I click + and select "password".

friedarfriedar Junior Member

I'm looking for the password generator in the app (I know it is in the extension for Chrome, I get that, I am looking for it in the app).
1Password7 v 7.2.5, desktop app, Mac OS X v10.4.3.
I searched and found out that in 1PW7, you click the + button next to the search blank and select "password" to access it. However, when I do that, all I see is a blank set of fields for me to create a password entry.

Oh, wait, now I clicked the gear icon on the right and it generated a password, with a popup that says "regenerate password" and has the options sliders.

What is up with this? Why hide such a basic function, then make me press the little gear icon? I don't get it.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS X v10.4.3.
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:generator

Comments

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@friedar - because it's not all that common to want to create a password outside of the context of a browser. It does happen, of course, but by far the majority of password-creation scenarios are when at a website, for which you'd use the generator in the mini/extension.

I wouldn't call the way it's done within the main app "hiding," however -- at least that is certainly not the intent, though I'm sorry if it wasn't clear how to accomplish it. The Plus button is how any new item is created in 1Password (except a Login, which should be done in-browser). If you choose Password, you're essentially getting a blank password-creation form; the reason it's not just a button to generate a password is that it's entirely possible you might have received a password from somewhere else or have one you thought up on your own which you wanted to enter. So, if you click the password field itself, you can type or paste into it. If you want to generate a password, that's what the gear icon is for. Glad you found it! :)

• c2ckidc2ckid Junior Member

I completely agree with friedar.
    1Password was very easy and intuitive to generate a password before.
    It was very quick and easy to find the generator as it was right there on the front window and especially if you wanted to generate a password not associated with a web page.
    I have just downloaded Version 7.3.BETA-12 (70300012) and now regret it as the Password generator is not obvious to use and requires more clicking to use and therefore has become very unintuitive to use.
    I personally think this is a backwards step.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@c2ckid - thanks for the feedback. :)

• dcdesmetdcdesmet
    edited May 15

I agree with friedar, this is the most unfriendly aspect of 1 Password, and it's based on a very narrow use-case. My use case is creating a login for an iOS app, (not using a browser). Another use case is when I'm asked to create passwords on devices that don't have 1Password app, for example I'm on AppleTV and need to create an account login / password. I have my iphone in front of me and just want to use the password generator on my phone and paste it into the field on my apple tv. It appears your assumption is a linear based "i want to create a new account login and i'm using a web browser.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

Welcome to the forum, @dcdesmet, and thanks for the feedback! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file