Attachments (Documents) for 1Password.com Subscriptions

Options
Nick323
Nick323
Community Member

Couple of quick questions (or long)

1) Has there been anymore discussion on how attachments can be added back to 1Password.com memberships or any sort of time line where we can add the original attachment functionality back? Yes I know you can do it on local vaults or if you sync with another service. (Allow it to be a choice for each user, if they want to do so. If bandwidth was the concern preventing attachment downloads assuming they are using the 1Password subscription). If you are not considering it at all please say so. Understand the only reason i mention them is I WANT to use your product more, not less.

2) Documents, while I appreciate how they work for actual documents when they do not have anything else attached to them (Life insurance policies, brokerage documents for beneficiaries, Passports, Licenses etc). I would love the ability to make them automatically download to ALL platforms, PERIOD. I know this has been mentioned in the past but is there anything in the timeline that would allow this functionality? Be it All file sizes, anything between 1-5 mb, 5-10mb, etc. Allow users options please. Here where I live the speed to download be it 1 mb or 500 mb really isn't a issue (or multiple GB). I know it is for some, so just simply allow people to make a choice. I understand you are trying to push the product to the masses, so default it to off and let people pick in options. Assuming Documents stay as they are currently at the VERY least move the DOCUMENT with any item linked to it. At least make a prompt stating the Document will be unlinked if you move it to another vault and if you want to keep it linked would you like to copy the Document to the new vault? (or move if you are moving and no other item is linked to it) This is simply a poor poor design choice not to allow this. Again anything being changed in this regard? I do not state this to be rude and I understand some users will simply not care about this but some users will. If you want to charge more to allow additionally functionality please do so. If better features = more money, at least make it an option. Please state if nothing will be changed.

3) Additionally, while I haven't seen anything about it. Expand your Document selection and actually make a "Statements" section. There are a couple of products that will download statements for you (i won't mention them) but you could make your product a storage location for it and actually charge more for your storage/service etc. I know this is far fetched but I would appreciate if the other products I pay for interfaced with 1Password and put my statements directly into 1Password and 1Password would have to create folders if you will under Documents. This is more of a feature request but if you are going to have Documents, lets really use them. So either allow it as a location for storage or just take it over and make it a feature. Make this a separate service (2.99/3.99/4.99 per month or whatever add on) and it will fetch statements. I know this is a big undertaking but it could be an expansion of 1Password at some point and yes I realize this isn't a small feature to add. If simply a storage location (cloud storage) then I will mention pricing in a moment. Understand my major wish is just to finally have a real single location where I can do all of my work and not having to jump all over the place.

When I switched from stand alone to subscription I ran into the same challenges others did when the attachments got separated into documents. I made the choice to just ignore them (and i deleted most of the documents after uploading them to another service) and start storing them with another service where I am paying for the product and additionally another cloud service just to store them encrypted. Since most of the attachments I had were related to the item they were "linked" to. Let's be real a bunch of documents that said "screen shot 12312321" or "DocumentXYZ" do not mean anything unless attached to the original item. I really really really hated it. I simply just do not use "Documents" anymore that are "linked". But I was able to give my family members access to shared vaults without any additional applications and for simple logins it was a bonus and I appreciate that. So I have since had to subscribe to additional services that encrypt and store documents and in addition keep logins/passwords for myself, personally, just to keep the same functionality I really enjoyed before. This means I have to manually keep certain passwords in sync. It isn't efficient. When using Last Pass and trying to remember to keep certain passwords in sync just so I can keep certain, important, attachments, it isn't very fun.

If I am in Peru and I have limited or (very limited...) cell coverage and I need to pull up my Passport, I can't take the chance it simply will not load, which actually happened. Lucky I had my passport with me and this was a true situation I ran into. I understand this is not a normal problem people will have but I simply just want the option to download all of my attachments/documents to whatever device I want to do so. Understand in Peru you have to provide a digital copy of your Passport or the actual passport. You can't provide a paper copy when making a credit card purchase from outside of the US.

As such, I am willing and I am sure others who are more "power users" to pay more for the subscription if you could expand the functionality of the Attachments (or really just add them back) and the Documents in additional options as mentioned previously. Be it instead of 1GB for 4.99 a month or $4.99 make it $7.99 for 5GB or even $9.99 for 10 gb or 20 gb or 50 gb or even 1 TB (which most would not use). Keep in mind I mean the 4.99-9.99 in addition to the normal 4.99 price. I am paying much more than that now just to try to keep the same functions I had before I joined the 1Password membership and used Dropbox to do my syncing.

Just please give more options in your service. I want to love it but I find myself all the time trying to find ways to make "1Password" work. I will not get rid of it as my family members love it and shared passwords works well. I am just tired of trying to find ways around the limitations which didn't occur when I had it on Dropbox (which I still pay for as well). The only problem I had was trying to get people to sync Dropbox. Which would be annoying but at this point I am to far in, so you guys win, I guess.

That being said please do not respond to this post with some horribly short answer regarding why 1Password Membership is so much better than anything else. I already stated I use it and I do love it for regular passwords. I get it, it is great. Take into consideration that the person who is making these statements suffered though the horrible 1Password 4 on Windows and paid for multi platform products prior to any sort of subscription and despite the fact I didn't like the product going subscription I eventually supported your stance to make sure the company could survive and profit over time. I just simply hate the limited functionality provided in the cloud product you created in regards to Documents and lack of attachments. I am also willing to pay additional funds for features I would love to see you guys add.

If none of this lines up with how Agile Bits determined they can survive and continue to be profitable, I understand. I would just appreciate if you are simply transparent and state these functions can't be added because most people would not be willing to pay additional funds or you simply have no desire to add any additional functions That is ok as well and as I stated, which as I am just one person, I understand I can switch services but I really do not want to use your service to the fullest extent. Please try to work with us to make this happen.

Hopefully you understand.

With all respect, Nick.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Nick323!

1) Has there been anymore discussion on how attachments can be added back to 1Password.com memberships or any sort of time line where we can add the original attachment functionality back? Yes I know you can do it on local vaults or if you sync with another service. (Allow it to be a choice for each user, if they want to do so. If bandwidth was the concern preventing attachment downloads assuming they are using the 1Password subscription). If you are not considering it at all please say so. Understand the only reason i mention them is I WANT to use your product more, not less.

I know there has been discussion on this, but I am not sure this is something we are officially considering yet. Can you please let me know how attachments would work better for your use case than documents? This can help understand where you are coming from :)

2) Documents, while I appreciate how they work for actual documents when they do not have anything else attached to them (Life insurance policies, brokerage documents for beneficiaries, Passports, Licenses etc). I would love the ability to make them automatically download to ALL platforms, PERIOD.

I am not sure this is something we would like to do. When it comes to 1Password, downloading documents actually means decrypting them and making them available on your hard drive. We prefer to err on the side of caution and keep everything encrypted unless specifically told otherwise by the user, for security reasons.

Assuming Documents stay as they are currently at the VERY least move the DOCUMENT with any item linked to it. At least make a prompt stating the Document will be unlinked if you move it to another vault and if you want to keep it linked would you like to copy the Document to the new vault?

We already show a prompt in this case:

Are you not seeing this when you try to move an item to a different vault?

3) Additionally, while I haven't seen anything about it. Expand your Document selection and actually make a "Statements" section. There are a couple of products that will download statements for you (i won't mention them) but you could make your product a storage location for it and actually charge more for your storage/service etc. I know this is far fetched but I would appreciate if the other products I pay for interfaced with 1Password and put my statements directly into 1Password and 1Password would have to create folders if you will under Documents. This is more of a feature request but if you are going to have Documents, lets really use them. So either allow it as a location for storage or just take it over and make it a feature. Make this a separate service (2.99/3.99/4.99 per month or whatever add on) and it will fetch statements. I know this is a big undertaking but it could be an expansion of 1Password at some point and yes I realize this isn't a small feature to add. If simply a storage location (cloud storage) then I will mention pricing in a moment. Understand my major wish is just to finally have a real single location where I can do all of my work and not having to jump all over the place.

I totally understand how this could be useful to you, so thank you for sharing your thoughts about this? Ultimately, 1Password is a password management software, and our focus is to make it the best password manager out there. While we also offer additional features such as document storage for your convenience, 1Password is not a storage solution, so it's not even trying to compete with proper document storage services. This means that there will be limitations because our focus is the password manager functionality.

If, while doing this, we are able to offer additional features that can fit in the current 1Password offering, we are happy to implement them, but I think the focus should always remain on the secure password management features.

So I have since had to subscribe to additional services that encrypt and store documents and in addition keep logins/passwords for myself, personally, just to keep the same functionality I really enjoyed before. This means I have to manually keep certain passwords in sync. It isn't efficient. When using Last Pass and trying to remember to keep certain passwords in sync just so I can keep certain, important, attachments, it isn't very fun.

I agree that this is not ideal, but from what you are writing, I think your needs when it comes to document management are more advanced than the typical user. Once again, 1Password doesn't want to be a storage bucket, so if your needs are those of a professional user in this regard, perhaps a specific service just for that is indeed the right choice for you.

As such, I am willing and I am sure others who are more "power users" to pay more for the subscription if you could expand the functionality of the Attachments (or really just add them back) and the Documents in additional options as mentioned previously. Be it instead of 1GB for 4.99 a month or $4.99 make it $7.99 for 5GB or even $9.99 for 10 gb or 20 gb or 50 gb or even 1 TB (which most would not use). Keep in mind I mean the 4.99-9.99 in addition to the normal 4.99 price. I am paying much more than that now just to try to keep the same functions I had before I joined the 1Password membership and used Dropbox to do my syncing.

Thank you for the feedback! I am really grateful that you would be willing to pay more for 1Password for more features :) I am sure the marketing team has considered this before, and I suspect there must have been a good reason for not doing this yet, but your thoughts really help!

That being said please do not respond to this post with some horribly short answer regarding why 1Password Membership is so much better than anything else. I already stated I use it and I do love it for regular passwords. I get it, it is great. Take into consideration that the person who is making these statements suffered though the horrible 1Password 4 on Windows and paid for multi platform products prior to any sort of subscription and despite the fact I didn't like the product going subscription I eventually supported your stance to make sure the company could survive and profit over time. I just simply hate the limited functionality provided in the cloud product you created in regards to Documents and lack of attachments. I am also willing to pay additional funds for features I would love to see you guys add.

After having said this, I will also say that we work on 1Password constantly because we want it to improve. In this regard, no decisions are ever set in stone, so while I cannot make any promises right now (after all, any major change requires a lot of discussion to make sure we get it just right), we are listening :)

We just don't share our future plans very often because in this world, so many things change at a very rapid pace that we don't want to promise something that we might be forced to reconsider later on. So we prefer to announce things when they are ready to avoid setting false expectations, I hope you understand that.

I would just appreciate if you are simply transparent and state these functions can't be added because most people would not be willing to pay additional funds or you simply have no desire to add any additional functions

I do suspect that pricing could be an issue, but I don't think it would be the main factor at this point. A password manager app requires a lot of work to maintain, so sometimes, even when we would like to do something, we need to prioritize our development efforts as there are just so many hours in the day :) This means that we need to choose the battles we fight, and it's not always because we do not want to do something, just that we have other challenges to tackle first.

Once again, thank you so much for your feedback! I am happy that you took the time to share it with us, and I hope that my reply helped a little bit :)

• Nick323
    Nick323
    Community Member
    Options

Attachments are used in conjunction with the Username and Password. Be it just a screen shot of the security questions and answers so you do not have to type them all out in the notes or just an SSH key that belongs to a username and password. Basically just something specifically related to the username/password item or a secure note. Another example I put some scripting code in a secure note and I attach the PDF of instructions to it or a Word document that contains a template for various reasons.

It sounds like there will never be a fix to this though so I will just continue to do it another way.

As for Document downloads you guys are nuts if you do not fix it but I appreciate you being honest and at least I know not to use 1Password for documents at all. You can keep them encrypted just because you have them downloaded.

You do show a prompt if the item has a linked document. Look at what options you are giving. "You can move the document, we aren't going to tell you what is attached but you can do it and you will just lose your attachment in limbo but we will not move it for you so you can access it and we will no copy it either... you just lose it, thanks.". Again that is a horrible design.

Maybe other services do perform the options that I require but 1Password used to work great until the removal of attachments. So yeah you could use the argument that I am a power user but the reality is that 1Password used to work until Memberships.

Beyond that thank you for your responses and it simply just sounds like you guys like the way Documents work and at least at this point have no desire to fix them or how they work or add attachments back. At least I know where you stand.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Nick323

Thank you for the additional information! It's great that you are so passionate about 1Password, and I really appreciate you taking the time to voice your thoughts :)

Beyond that thank you for your responses and it simply just sounds like you guys like the way Documents work and at least at this point have no desire to fix them or how they work or add attachments back. At least I know where you stand.

It's more of a priority thing to be honest, as I mentioned in my previous post: it's difficult (actually, it's probably impossible) to please everyone. Every change we implement has an impact on every 1Password user, not just the ones who requested a certain feature, so every decision we make (be it related to documents or anything else) needs to be carefully evaluated.

In addition to this, we need to consider our priority list too: if a feature is requested by a lot of users, it might end up higher in the priority list than something that is requested by a smaller number of users. This is not always the case of course, but in general this is something we also have to consider as part of our evaluation.

I really would love to say "yes" to every request, but I think an honest reply is always the best choice :)

This discussion has been closed.