Imported passwords: 1Password not working to autofill or do anything

Options
kmargiotta
kmargiotta
Community Member

Just jumped ship from Dashlane. Imported my passwords (after a feat of editing) but they all show in my vault.
However, nothing happens if I go to a website where I need the password info.
I see the site in the suggested part of my chrome plugin, but nothing as far as it auto-populating, or even giving me the choice to.
Willing to do a little more work to make this work, but not much more before I ask for a refund.

1Password Version: 7.25
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019
    Options

@kmargiotta: Just to make sure we're on the same page here, 1Password will never fill anything just because you navigated to a webpage. It's intentionally, since otherwise you'll have your sensitive information that you're using 1Password to secure just being squirted into webforms without your say-so. So you'll need to invoke 1Password using the mouse or keyboard (⌘ \):

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

If it's something else though, be sure to let me know the specific browser version and URL where you're having trouble so I can test it to see what the problem might be. Let me know either way. :)

• kmargiotta
    kmargiotta
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks so very much.
    I think we are halfway there. Started digging in, to help solve myself as well :)

When I imported my adjusted export from DL, it appears that my website data piece didn't come over and it's just my email address.
    I edited the login for a site and tried again.
    Still no shortcuts, but clicking the chrome extension worked as I needed it to.

I'll poke into extensions now, and then go in and manually check all of the data to make sure it has proper URLs.
    I think we are done, unless I cannot solve the shortcut thing...

Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kmargiotta - sounds good; let us know if you need any further assistance, and welcome aboard! :)

• kmargiotta
    kmargiotta
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Lars I think I'm good now. Man, what a pain the butt importing info was. Here's hoping all goes well from here. Thanks again 1password team for the quick responses on this! Impressive.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @kmargiotta. On behalf of the team you're most welcome. :+1:

Ben

• rubato
    rubato
    Community Member
    Options

Hi both,
    @kmargiotta have you found a solution that is close to Dashlane's behavior ?
    I made the switch just like you, and now I have to go from zero clicks in DL when I navigate to a known website (it just fills and submits for you) to two clicks (1 for filling, 1 for submitting).
    On top of that, I'm already annoyed by all the wrangling that the CSV required...

• Ben
    Options

@rubato

it just fills and submits for you

1Password will not automatically fill or submit. That is intentional and is designed to help prevent information from accidentally ending up where it shouldn't. You may find the keyboard shortcut for filling ( ⌘\ by default) followed by hitting the return / enter key on your keyboard (to submit) to be more convenient than mousing though.

On top of that, I'm already annoyed by all the wrangling that the CSV required...

I'm sorry for the frustration. Our import abilities can only be as good as the exports of others. We can't get blood from a stone. That isn't to say that there isn't any room for improvement on our end -- there is, but in many cases we're limited by what we're given.

Ben

• rubato
    rubato
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,
    Thank you for the quick reply,
    I understand the intention behind not enabling auto-fill by default, but why not make it a setting that a user can enable on their own?
    Also, just FYI ⌘\ is a weird shortcut for most layouts other than US-QWERTY (I personally don't mind because it can be changed).

I didn't want to dwell on the Dashlane export problems too much, and I agree with everything you said but my biggest problem was that I had to run a script made by a random stranger in their spare time in order to get it to work, I feel like 1Password should have been the ones providing this.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rubato

I understand the intention behind not enabling auto-fill by default, but why not make it a setting that a user can enable on their own

Because users will use it. And not just savvy, well-versed ones like you, but anyone who stumbles across it and thinks "hey, what's this?" or "that sounds like it might save a few clicks!" And then we're right back to where we were with those users, with them potentially being at risk of filling into places that they shouldn't, which could be malicious. If we can work out ways to make sure categorically this won't happen, we may revisit this. But as it stands, we take into account all of our users - not just the power users - and we err on the side of security and caution. Our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts, jpgoldberg goes into considerably more detail about why in this blog post.

I feel like 1Password should have been the ones providing this.

To some degree, so do we. That's why Ben said there's room for improvement on our end of things. But he also mentioned that we're limited by what we're given, as your script author is not the only one to mention. In a space (password management) that's increasingly filled with players, more and more time is required to make the necessary translations/templates/scripts -- and that goes double or even more when what we have to work with is so inconsistent. One of our awesome forum moderators, MrC, has actually spent a great deal of time creating a converter suite that works with various password managers' export formats and makes them into a format that's easily importable into 1Password -- and here’s a thread discussing with various people (including the author of your script) what a headache that particular format is.

None of which is to say that we couldn't dedicate in-house time to making import functionality more robust. But doing so would mean saying no to any number of other priorities and projects that would have to be set aside to free up the developer cycles to do so. For our part, we wrote (and are in the process of updating) our own .1pif (1Password Interchange Fomat) export format because we wanted to make it easy for users to take their data to other instances of 1Password or even to other password management solutions if they so chose. That's why you'll hear competitors' products claim with confidence they can easily import 1Password data -- because they can; we made it easy and as convenient as an export/import process is likely to be. I wish all password managers did the same, and if I were a customer of one that made it difficult for me to easily take my data elsewhere, I know who I'd be upset with.

Nevertheless, I'm glad you were able to get your data imported satisfactorily, eventually, and we'll continue to evaluate ways to make it easier for people to begin using 1Password, whether it's as a new user or for folks bringing their data from other solutions. :)

This discussion has been closed.