Reused Password prompt when generating new passwords - generator not random enough!

I have just upgraded the windows Client to 7 and am in the process of exterminating resued/compromised passwords

several times now, despite changing the length and clicking regenerate, I get the "reused password" prompt in the client. if it was twice, I would not be suspicious, but something is not quite right with this in my head.

Steps taken:

• Mouse over the password field
  • right click
  • select 1password in the context menu (miss the under menu generate password from v4 btw)
  • click the password generator menu
  • click regenerate 1 or more times
  • click copy
  • right click the "new password" field
  • select paste
  • right click the "repeat new password" field
  • select paste
  • save the new password in the dialog that appears
  • switch to the 1password application
  • the reused password banner appears

This has happened at least five times now

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: win10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @josste!

Is it possible that the reused password message appears because you have one Login item and one Password item in the app? When you use the password generator, that password is saved inside the Passwords category, but if you then also create a Login item, you would technically have two items using the same password (even though, in practice, this is not a reused password case).

Is it possible this is what is happening?

• josste
    josste
    Community Member

UPDATE

it seems that this is a bug.

When I click on the item i have changed in the list (e.g. Reused passwords) the prompt appears.
    If I click on all items, and search for it, the prompt is gone, and going back to e.g. reused passwords the prompt is also gone / or the entry is no longer listed...

• Hey @josste! If you don't mind, I'd like to clarify what's happening so we're all on the same page:

1. From the Reused passwords category, you change a password and save the changes.
    2. The prompt remains on that Login item.
    3. You search for that Login item in All Items and there is no prompt on the Login item.
    4. When you return to Reused passwords, the item is no longer there/doesn't contain the Reused password prompt.

Is this correct? If so, is this consistent across all of the Login items in the Reused passwords category?

This discussion has been closed.