Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password desktop is not in sync with chrom plugin

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @greter,

Just to help give us a better idea of where the issue may lie can you help us with some details please.

1. What version of the 1Password application do you have and is this macOS or Windows?
    2. What's your preferred browser and what version of our extension do you have installed?
    3. Do you have 2FA enabled in your 1Password account? If you're not sure you won't as it has to be explicitly enabled.
  • greter
    greter
    Community Member
    Options

1: Windows Version 7.3.657
    2: Chrome Plugin version 1.14.2
    3: 2FA is enabled

Sometimes the synchronization works, but sometimes not.
    I currently have the feeling that it happens wen I start the VPN and chrome is already running (the VPN configures a proxy for chrome).
    If I restart chrome after VPN has started, things get in sync again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@greter: Aha. You're not using the 1Password desktop extension, but rather 1Password X, which is completely separate from the desktop app. And I think you're right that when you switch your VPN on/off, it's killing 1Password X's connection to the server. You probably wouldn't notice an issue with webpages since, for the most part, they load and that's it. I'd be curious if you're able to consistently reproduce the same issue, and what errors you might see in the logs. Please share any errors in your background console from 1Password X:

Save a console log for the 1Password extension

Maybe there's something we can do to work around it. :)

• greter
    greter
    Community Member
    Options

Yes the issues is reproducible with the following steps:
    1. restart windows
    2. Open 1Password Desktop
    3. Open Chrome
    4. Change PW in 1Password Desktop
    5. Chrome Plugin shows new PW imediatly
    6. Start VPN
    7. Change PW in 1Password Desktop
    8. Chrome Plugin still shows old PW

As I'm not allowed to attache a log or txt file I attached a screenshot of the log.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @greter,

It looks like the changes to the network are causing the server to need to re-authenticate and at least to me it would make sense that changes aren't propagating while it is in that limbo state. I did try seeing if I could replicate on my Mac but I had no luck, possibly because my VPN is at the OS level rather than by configuring Chrome's proxy settings. May I ask who is providing your VPN service as maybe I can reproduce if I create a setup that betters mirrors yours.

I'll also ask one of my colleagues to take a look and see if their knowledge of the code means this makes sense to them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've got three different VPN providers I use here and cannot reproduce it. So it's probably something specific to the one you're using, or the way it's configured on your device.

• greter
    greter
    Community Member
    Options

Thema VPN Ihnen Uwe ist a company VPN -> YouTube can't try that yourself.
    As part oft VPN configuration a system wide proxy ist configured and access to internet ist only possible trough that proxy.
    Mayne that helps to reproduce Thema issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@greter: To clarify, you only have the problem when using that specific VPN/proxy?

• greter
    greter
    Community Member
    Options

yes

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for confirming. We don't have control over your network configuration or other people's software, but perhaps wer can find a way to better compensate for connection issues. Thank you for bringing this up! :)

This discussion has been closed.