Lotus Notes?

Options

We just moved to 1password as a corporate password management solution but I don't see a good way to manage my Lotus Notes password. Have seen mention of "auto-type" but it appears that feature is not yet implemented? How can I manage (if at all) my Lotus Notes pw with 1password?
Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @BG56,

Thanks for writing in.

For 1Password 7, we have not yet implemented Auto-Type but it is coming in a future update. For now, you can try to copy/paste or use Type in Window. Here's how Type in Window works:

1. Focus the username field (or password if the username is already entered) in Lotus Notes
    2. Bring up 1Password mini via Control + Alt + \ shortcut
    3. Search for Lotus Notes and right-click on it to expand the field copy menu (username or password > copy) and you can then select the Lotus Notes to have 1Password type the data in for you.
  • BG56
    BG56
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply - unfortunately, Lotus Notes does not allow copy/paste of password. I guess that makes 1password an interesting choice as a corporate password manager for a company with 10s of thousands of Notes users.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BG56,

Am I right to understand that you do not see Lotus Notes window, when you try to use Type in Window?

Please let us know. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• BG56
    BG56
    Community Member
    Options

My forum entry is more fundamental than that.... I was asking if/how I could use 1password with Lotus Notes. Until your forum entry, I was not sure how I would get to "type-in window" and your mention of it was the first I've seen. I did a few google searches and experimented and found that if I created a login for my lotus notes userid/pw then used the 1password mini app, right clicked on my lotus notes/pw, I see the option for "type in window" but it is grayed out.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BG56,

Thank you for getting back to me! I am sorry to hear that it doesn't work.

Many Windows apps use a custom windowless design, which is not supported by 1Password yet. Auto-Type is one of the most requested features at the moment and we really want to add it to 1Password 7 ourselves, but I do not have any ETA now.

If Lotus Notes doesn't allow copy/paste of your password, but allows you to change your password, you can create a memorable pass-phrase and enter it manually (I guess you can copy and paste your username).

If you have any additional questions about this situation, please feel free to raise them. We are here to help you with 1Password. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• gordcook
    gordcook
    Community Member
    Options

@BG56,

I see the option for "type in window" but it is grayed out.>

I think I understand what you're saying: The words Type in window are part of the separator in the context window and is not meant to be clicked on. The lines underneath make up the list of windows that you can type into. Place the cursor in the password field in Lotus Notes and then follow @Greg's instructions to click on the application name that matches Lotus Notes.

• BG56
    BG56
    Community Member
    Options

Gordcook - good input and now I know why I tried to click on Type In Window - Notes is not showing up as an active window to type into. Thanks

• gordcook
    gordcook
    Community Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

@BG56 , I wondered whether that would be the case, based on your previous comments. I've encountered a couple of applications that don't appear in the list... and require copy/paste instead. I suspect it's due to the way that the window is displayed (no title bar or other frame elements). If Notes has disabled pasting, too, then they're really making it really hard for users to employ strong passwords. :(

My suggestion would be to consider using the "words" password generator to make manually typing the password more convenient and less error-prone. But that's a decision you need to make for yourself.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, it sounds like a pain if they're preventing even copy and paste, but in that case you may be able to make good use of 1Password's "words" password generator option to create a password that is both random and secure and also human-friendly, like gordcook suggested. For reference, in a contest last year it took about 6 months for someone to brute force a three-word Wordlist password, even with hints and a cash incentive. So 4 words is exponentially stronger than that even. :)

• fstorch
    fstorch
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT I'm also hit by the Notes incapability to use Paste or "type-in window".
    Especially with Windows10 capability to keep a history of copied clipboard items, I would value the "Auto-type" capability very much.
    Is there any outlook when this might be available?

• We don't like to speculate on when future features might be released, @fstorch. It's certainly on our roadmap, but priorities necessarily have to evolve as we learn about new issues (or new things about existing ones) and continue to develop and test new features. What's priority one today may need to be bumped down a peg tomorrow as a result of new information. I can tell you it's one of the more requested features and certainly something we'd like to see out sooner than later, but particularly right now we actually have quite a few priorities we're juggling and it's tough to even make a good guess at timelines. Your best bet is to keep an eye out here for a future announcement when it's getting closer to release. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.