Syncing creates double the records.

AgileBurger
AgileBurger
Community Member

I lost my phone and had to download the app again.

For some reason your sync process created two of everything on my phone now.

Please advise how to fix this.

Second issue: I told the program on my windows desktop "not now" for saving a login for a certain domain. I expected in your settings I could find that domain listed and remove it so that your software asks in the future. But theres nothing in the settings. How do I undo this so your app knows to ask when i log in again?

Third issue: I have another desktop windows device and I only want 5 or 6 of my 1password records on that device. I want to also REMOVE them from all my other devices. How do I do this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@AgileBurger - I'm sorry for the trouble. Sync won't create two copies of a record; that happens only if you merge two separate but similar sets of data. When you got your new phone, how did you go about re-installing 1Password? Did you restore from a previous backup of your old phone? Or did you set it up as new by downloading 1Password for iOS directly from the App Store? On your previous phone's installation of 1Password for iOS, were you using it as a standalone app, or did you have a 1password.com account? On the new phone, if you open Settings > Vaults, what do you see? How many vaults are there, and what are their names?

With regard to your Windows PCs, you can't both sync your data and not sync it, if you take my meaning. On the second PC where you want to have only a few items that appear nowhere else, it sounds as if you might want to have a standalone setup there -- but it's a bit hard to say from just your description. Let's get your iPhone straightened out, then we'll talk about which data you want on which devices. Let me know about your previous and current setup.

• AgileBurger
    AgileBurger
    Community Member

When you got your new phone, how did you go about re-installing 1Password? Did you restore from a previous backup of your old phone?

I did a restore from iCloud yes. So it placed the app onto my phone. I do not know what kind of data was stored in iCloud, although I would expect for security reasons that you don't allow passwords to be uploaded in data files to iCloud (!!). So I want to say that apple simply restored the empty app onto the new phone and I had to log in, to retrieve / sync all the logins. At which point two records showed up for everything.

(Also please keep in mind that I have had the old 1Password and newest 1Password on my windows desktop for awhile. I'm not sure if there are two databases in your site for me and the iOS device pulled both old and new. Im only speculating on that though. I seem to recall that some of the logins were brand new and did not exist in the old Windows 1Password at all, yet I had two of them on my Phone. So this implies the duplicate records aren't a product of having two installs on my Windows desktop.)

On your previous phone's installation of 1Password for iOS, were you using it as a standalone app, or did you have a 1password.com account?

I am not sure. I have been lingering with the old version of 1Password on my windows, which was outdated. About 3 months ago I installed your newest major upgrade version there. Both versions were left on my computer. I then bought a second laptop and installed the newest 1Password there. So it was on 3 devices total. I started noticing that after installed the newest version of your windows software, things were automatically updating on my phone. I think (?) Im having difficulty remembering if this is how it played out. I think it was doing this though because I distinctly remember being surprised that a new login was already on another device. And I only use my phone and windows desktop. However prior to installing the new version of Windows software, the app on my phone was standalone and not linked to anything. I did not switch it to using 1password.com or sync automatically. I think it just started happening.

On the new phone, if you open Settings > Vaults, what do you see? How many vaults are there, and what are their names?

Ah, there we go: Okay so it says "KEVIN" above one of them which says "Personal" > Immediately beneath this is a blue text link saying "New Vault" i assume I can click.

The second one says "ON MY PHONE" above it, which says "Primary" >

Always open to: "All Vaults"

At the very top of this screen it shows a colorful icon and says "All Valuts .......... 2 vaults >" When I click on this It takes me to a screen that says: Vault for Saving ... Primary>

Vaults included in all vaults:

Personal - on
    Primary - on

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AgileBurger,

I did a restore from iCloud yes. So it placed the app onto my phone. I do not know what kind of data was stored in iCloud, although I would expect for security reasons that you don't allow passwords to be uploaded in data files to iCloud (!!).

Indeed, we do not enable sync automatically with standalone vaults. If you are using one (for example, if you have a vault called Primary in the app) and you were able to restore it from iCloud, it means that you explicitly enabled iCloud sync in the past. This is not something we can do for you unless you specifically choose to do it, since it would also require you to login to your iCloud account, which only you can do.

I started noticing that after installed the newest version of your windows software, things were automatically updating on my phone. I think (?) Im having difficulty remembering if this is how it played out. I think it was doing this though because I distinctly remember being surprised that a new login was already on another device.

This sounds like you might be using a 1Password Membership. With a Membership account, sync is automatic if you login to your 1Password account in every 1Password app that you use.

At the very top of this screen it shows a colorful icon and says "All Valuts .......... 2 vaults >" When I click on this It takes me to a screen that says: Vault for Saving ... Primary>

Indeed, this would explain the duplicates, since you are using two vaults. If you login to your 1Password account in a browser, do you see the duplicates there too, or do you see them just in the app?

Another way to test this would be to switch to your Personal vault in the app, instead of looking at All Vaults. If you look at one vault at the time, do you see the duplicates anyway?

This discussion has been closed.