How to deal with iOS apps that won't allow pasting passwords into mobile apps?

cappy
cappy
Community Member
edited April 2019 in iOS

I've just found out that the Citibank mobile app will not work with 1PW, nor will it allow a user to paste the password into the app.
This is a bad idea for mobile computing. We're supposed to use long cryptic passwords, but we cannot memorize them so as to type them in from memory. Calling Citibank's tech support confirmed this. It's not a problem with 1PW.

Apple should not allow apps like this in the app store.
It would be great if AgileBits could advocate this with Apple

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cappy - yes, there are a few sites (many of them, unfortunately, in the financial sector) who seem to believe that allowing pasting reduces user security. We disagree, obviously, for precisely the reasons you stated: if you can't automatically fill your password from your password manager, and you can't even copy and paste it, then people are going to reduce their security by changing their long-and-strong, random password generated by 1Password, into something they can remember and type...which will be much less strong.

A while back, we did draft up An Open Letter to Banks, which has been updated since it was first released, and while I doubt that any one individual using it will get immediate, significant change, over time the pressure may be helpful in getting them to change their ways on some of the most user-hostile of their "security" practices. While 1Password and certainly Apple may be a bigger and more recognizable name than your (or my!) personal name, we (AgileBits) have a vested interest in people using password managers, so our opinion tends to be discounted. More importantly, we are not these institutions' customers. You are. So you actually have more leverage and influence over the decisions your bank makes than we would. Feel free to adapt any of the language in that letter or modify it to your own situation, and who knows? Maybe once enough people do so, things may start to change. Thanks for mentioning it, and good luck! :)

This discussion has been closed.