Differences between desktop extension and 1Password X

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1password X - how to use Touch ID on Macbook Pro?.

Comments

• mfive
    mfive
    Community Member

Except this is available in the "other" extension that you have available. So there is feature regression in the new "1password x" that I just received by signing up for the trial account. I think I'll be switching back to the old 1password that I had that worked great with touch id.

• @mfive

This thread is old at this point. The "other" extension gets access to Touch ID through 1Password for Mac. 1Password X w/ Touch ID integration (through 1Password for Mac) is in beta now. You can find more details here:

Introducing Desktop App Integration for Mac! 🎉 — 1Password Forum

Please note that 1Password X is far from the only enhancement that comes with membership. There are a huge host of other benefits as well:

About 1Password membership

Ben

• mfive
    mfive
    Community Member

It doesn’t support Firefox and is still in beta. My comment is still valid.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2019

Okay. :) Let us know if there is anything we can help with.

Ben

• mfive
    mfive
    Community Member

The new plugin also forces you to "save" a new password before you actually save/update on the website. Meaning you could punch in a password, then click "save in 1password", and then when you click "Save" on the website you are working on it errors out. Meaning you have not actually changed the password with the provider but you did change it in 1password. It also doesn't copy to the clipboard the same way the old 1password plugin did. All in all - way too many changes and I have found not one for the better except for text-field integration.

I prefer the way the old plugin worked where it would wait until you submitted the password change form and only THEN asked you to save the password in 1password.

Really curious how you guys came up with the idea that this was all a better flow...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

@mfive: Nothing "forces" you to do anything. I can say that for certain. But I'm not sure what we're talking about here any more. To be clear, the discussion was about using Touch ID to unlock 1Password on a Mac. We've already explained a couple ways of doing that. So we're getting way off topic, and I'll split you off into a new one. If you can clarify for me the topic you have in mind, I can adjust accordingly. Thanks! :)

Anyway, if you do prefer the 1Password desktop app/extension combo, you can still use that, as mentioned multiple times previously. The purpose of 1Password X is so that people who cannot use the desktop apps can still use 1Password in their browser. To facilitate that, 1Password X runs solely in the browser. At the same time, it of course can't do things outside the browser, like offer a persistent save dialog that you can interact with even after switching to a different page, by running at the OS level.

I get where you're coming from, but it seems like 1) you've been offered a solution already that allows you to use 1Password like you're saying you want to, and 2) alternatively you could re-save the Login again if at first you don't succeed changing the password on the website; your password history is still there, after all. But if there's something other than that which is confounding you, please let us know the details so we can help. :)

• mfive
    mfive
    Community Member

@brenty - the process I explained above is the only way to save a password with 1password x (aside from manually editing a login). If you want to save a password after logging in, you are forced through the above steps that I mentioned. Surely you've used both plugins and understand the behavior I'm referring to. It's terrible for those that are moving from the previous browser extension to the latest, 1 password x.

As to how it's related to TouchID - it's not. I'm just airing one more grievance (aside from the TouchID support in Firefox that I lost) about the lackluster 1Password X extension. It was a terrible step backwards in terms of usability... very, very frustrating.

The 1Password X plugin is marketed all over your website as the "premier" plugin with features such as the ability to fill in a form directly from the text field. Any reason that isn't in the "old" plugin? Are there technical limitations? It seems like it is not actively being developed as your focus is to get people to 1Password X via a recurring revenue subscription.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1Password X works where 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows don't: not everyone can run those, as I mentioned already, or prefer to use 1Password only in the browser. If you're not in that camp, great! You can use the desktop app, whose features are available in the browser using its companion extension. :)

Again, worst-case scenario with 1Password X, you save a password that doesn't work, still have the old one, and update the Login item with the new one -- either by editing it yourself, or saving from the form with 1Password, since you'd need to try again anyway if it failed. But if you prefer the 1Password desktop app/extension, you can continue using that. ;)

This discussion has been closed.