Autofill should also take passwords (not just logins) into account

caffeine
caffeine
Community Member

Hi everybody,

first of all let me say that I'm very satisfied with 1Password! :)

I have a small feature request: The autofill integration of the Android app should not just take logins into account but also passwords. For instance some apps like banking apps require an additional app password. Of course I stored the app password into 1Password as a password item. However the autofill dialog only lists login items :( Would be great if you can improve this! :+1: Many thanks! :)

1Password Version: 7.1.4-BETA-1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 9.0
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• peri
    edited April 2019

Hi @caffeine. Thanks so much for the kind words! I'm glad you're enjoying 1Password so far. :)

We'd love to improve filling on Android in the future to support additional categories. I'll go ahead and pass your request along to our development team.

ref: android-4

• caffeine
    caffeine
    Community Member

Hi @peri,

I was just wondering if there is any progress regarding this feature request? I have a few apps that require an app password (like my banking app) but 1Password only lists login items. Every time I open my banking app I have to open 1Password first, find the password entry and copy & paste it manually. It should not be too much work to also include password items in the autocomplete list. I would be very happy if this feature arrives in the Android app soon! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@caffeine: Password items are used by 1Password to save generated passwords when used. They're not intended for any other use. You can save that information in a Login item instead and it will work as you're suggesting. It's something we'll continue to evaluate, but it would add inconsistency if we did this on Android, would increase complaints due to users suddenly getting long lists of Password items suggested for filling which were not before. The same functionality is already available now with Login items, as that's their function, so I'd suggest using that instead.

• caffeine
    caffeine
    Community Member

Hi @brenty, thanks for your response. I wasn't aware that password items are only intended to be used by 1Password itself for generated passwords because as a user I'm able to create new password items. I use them to store PINs or wifi passwords for instance. I will try the workaround by converting the specific password item into a login item. Many thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad that helped! :)

I mean, you can use Password items for other things, but only Login items are designed to be used for filling. Password items are composed of only a URL (so 1Password knows which site it was generated for, in case you need it as a safety net) and the password itself -- no username or web form details that help 1Password know where to fill what. Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.