Context awareness using Firefox Containers?

Hi, this question applies to all platforms which can run the full version of Firefox. Firefox Quantum has a nifty Containers feature which can be used to segregate bad actors (such as Facebook.) Would it be possible for the 1Password plugin for Firefox to be aware of what container the particular tab is using? For example, I have a container for a specific organization I support using G Suite. In that container, it would be best to only present the login for that particular organization, so that I don't accidentally try to log in with my credentials for another Google service.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hey, @cobaltjacket.

I'm not a 1Pass team member, so we should wait for an official response from them, however, I think that 1Pass prompts you to login based on the URL. If your organization uses a specific URL you could add it to 1Pass so it suggests the appropriate login item.

Other option is to update the login name accordingly to avoid any confusion. What I do, for example, is to name my items as part of the organization they belong to, for example, I have multiple Mailchimp accounts, so to distinguish them I name them like this:

Mailchimp (Company Name)

I think what you suggested is something very interesting, but I wonder how much impact would it have to the majority of 1Pass users.

Hopefully, this helps. Have an excellent Friday!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1Password matches Logins to websites using the domain. Certainly some people wish it would match only to the subdomain (though I'm not certain that would help in your case), but that would cause a lot of issues for the majority of users. Imagine if 1Password would only allow you to fill Apple ID credentials at appleid.apple.com, not developer.apple.com, etc. I'm in the same boat: tons of Google Accounts. I find it's helpful to use Favorites, distinct titles, and even separate vaults to help with the sort of thing you're describing. And keep in mind that 1Password will not fill anything when you press ⌘ \ if you have more than one matching Login; it will have you choose. :)

• harrybailey
    harrybailey
    Community Member

I'm not sure that the original request was actually responded to here.
    Containers in Firefox allow separation of sessions etc.
    A container has a name (for example Client A, Client B).
    If 1Password were aware of the current container AND the 1Password vault, or login was set to only be relevent within that container, in theory 1Password could then show a better subset of the available items.

A more thorough example...
    If I open a standard tab in Firefox and browse to facebook.com to log in. On trigger 1Password mini will prompt with all details (of the currently active vault / all vaults) which match that url.
    If I open a container table in Firefox called Client A. On trigger 1Password mini will prompt with all details (of the currently active vault / all vaults) which have been set to match the Client A container tab. Alternatively it could prompt them first, followed by other options.

This would assume you can set a vault, or 1Password items to be connected to a Firefox container somewhere in Firefox or 1Password.
    Consideration needed for multiple device users, but essentially you ignore containers unless they exist and match.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019

Hey @harrybailey ,
    What you are talking about here is integrating 1Password with Firefox in ways we have no intentions of even trying :)
    Furthermore, Firefox is already very limited in its APIs and what it allows extensions, so I'm not even sure if that is possible, but even if it were, I highly doubt we will ever consider this option.

The best way to achieve what you are trying to do is as follows:
    1. Have multiple 1Password.com accounts (Account for Client A, Account for Client X).
    2. Have multiple Firefox user profiles (A profile for Client A etc...).
    3. Install 1Password X on each Firefox profile and log in to a specific 1Password.com account in that profile.

That way, you will have complete and full separation between 1Password.com accounts (and vaults) in different and separate Firefox profiles.
    Granted it is easier to achieve in Chrome since switching users is a click away there, but this can be done in Firefox as well.

This discussion has been closed.