iOS not syncing with Mac

Options
baligirl
baligirl
Community Member

I changed the password for Facebook on my Mac, went to check it on my iPhone and it is not changed. The app says it is syncing. I've checked and both are running the latest version, both are set to sync to iCloud, the app says it's syncing but the password hasn't changed. I've been troubleshooting this for almost 2 hours and getting nowhere. Instructions on the website don't line up with actions available on my computer or my phone. HELP!

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: OS X 10.14.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @baligirl! I'm sorry for the trouble. Can you check two things for me please? Open 1Password for Mac and click Preferences > Vaults and let me know what you see there: how many vaults are there, and what are their names? Next, in 1Password for iOS, click Settings > Vaults and check the same thing: how many vaults are there, and what are their names?

• baligirl
    baligirl
    Community Member
    Options

On my Mac it shows "Always open to" Personal, then Show in All Vaults says Kathryn Hartsell and under that, Personal. Vault for Saving is Personal. On my phone it says "on iCloud Primary".

• baligirl
    baligirl
    Community Member
    Options

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@baligirl - right, that's what I was anticipating. What that means is that you've created a 1password.com account (which syncs via the 1password.com servers) but you've left your iPhone using your standalone vault (synced via iCloud). In other words, both ARE syncing...but not with each other, since you're using two different methods/vaults.

If it's been a while since you created the 1password.com account and you've been adding/changing/deleting 1Password data since then on BOTH devices, then you'll need to do some manual examination, merging and deletion of duplicates. If you know for sure you haven't been adding, editing or deleting any data on your phone, then this will be much easier. Can you let me know which of these is the case, and I'll give you instructions to get a complete and up-to-date copy of your data into the 1password.com ("Personal") vault, and use that on both devices.

• baligirl
    baligirl
    Community Member
    Options

I think the one on the Mac is the most current. I really appreciate your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@baligirl -- OK, I'm going to give you the longer - but more comprehensive and correct - method, then, since the last thing you want is data loss. Here's what to do:

1. In 1Password for Mac, click Preferences > Advanced and check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." This will create a standalone (Primary) vault on your Mac, but it will be empty (for now). It will also require you use a new Master Password; give it the same Master Password as you use for the Primary vault on your iPhone.
    2. Click Preferences > Sync (this will be a new tab you'll see now in Preferences), and set this empty Primary vault to sync with iCloud. This will have the effect of drawing in the same information that's on your iPhone, into Primary.
    3. Exit Preferences and in the main window of 1Password for Mac, you'll see in the top-left corner a rainbow circle called All Vaults, which means you're looking at all your data, from both vaults. Click it and switch to the Primary vault, so you're viewing that data only.
    4. At the top of the item list, you'll see a sort order function. Click it and set it to Date Modified. That should give you a descending date-order of your data from Primary ONLY.
    5. Look for any data that's been modified since the time you created the 1password.com account. That might be weeks, or it could be months. But anything you modified on your iPhone SINCE you created the 1password.com account in 1Password for Mac will not be reflected on the Mac, because the two haven't been syncing.
    6. Use these instructions to select any such items and move them from Primary into Personal. This will capture any of the data you changed on your iPhone.
    7. Click Preferences > Backups and click "Backup Now" -- just in case.
    8. Click Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." That will require your Master Password and it will remove the Primary vault, leaving you as you were, with only the Personal vault of your 1password.com account -- but now, with the data you moved over from Primary.
    9. Merge/delete any duplicates from among what you moved over, until you are left with what you would consider a complete and up-to-date copy of your data.
    10. On your iPhone, follow these steps to sign into your 1password.com account and remove Primary.

This should leave you with only your Personal vault on BOTH devices, syncing via the 1password.com servers. Let me know how that works for you. :)

• baligirl
    baligirl
    Community Member
    Options

Step 3 says to exit Preferences, but I have to either start syncing or cancel and if I cancel, it goes back to "none" for the vault.

• baligirl
    baligirl
    Community Member
    Options

Also, on my Mac when I go to All Vaults and then switch to Primary, it's empty. Only Personal has data.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@baligirl

Step 3 says to exit Preferences, but I have to either start syncing or cancel...

Right. Step 2 said:

Click Preferences > Sync (this will be a new tab you'll see now in Preferences), and set this empty Primary vault to sync with iCloud

(emphasis added). In other words, go ahead and Start Syncing with iCloud.

• baligirl
    baligirl
    Community Member
    Options

When I tell the Primary vault to sync with iCloud it shows a 2009 file.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@baligirl - do you have more than one iCloud account/Apple ID? 1Password for Mac will use whatever is signed into iCloud currently. If you're using a different iCloud account on your iPhone than you are on your Mac, this will be the issue.

• baligirl
    baligirl
    Community Member
    Options

I only have one. I'm ok with deleting the entire file on the phone and putting the one from the Mac onto it, and then dealing with any fallout.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019
    Options

@baligirl - OK, then that makes this much easier. Please resume the steps above at #8 -- removing the Primary vault you added to 1Password for Mac, and adding your account to the iPhone, then removing Primary from the phone (you can skip step #9, obviously). Let me know how it goes! :)

• baligirl
    baligirl
    Community Member
    Options

I don't see that option.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@baligirl - I'm not sure what you mean? Step 8 above is for 1Password for Mac, not 1Password for iOS. Step 9 can be ignored. Step 10 should work for you.

• baligirl
    baligirl
    Community Member
    Options

I don't see how to delete the Primary vault from the phone. I can only sync.
    i'm terribly sorry I'm having such a hard time, you are being so helpful.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@baligirl - if you have not yet signed into your 1password.com account in 1Password for iOS, you won't be able to delete Primary because (as of now) it is the ONLY vault you have. Deleting it would mean you had no data at all (which would make 1Password kind of useless, right? ;) ). So, please add your 1password.com account to 1Password for iOS. That will give you two vaults, so one of them can be removed without rendering 1Password meaningless. THEN, you should be able to see the "Delete vault" option in Settings > Vaults > Primary. Let me know how that goes for you.

• baligirl
    baligirl
    Community Member
    Options

OMG I could KISS you right now!!!! It worked! i'm so grateful! Gaaaah, such an ordeal, and you were so patient and so helpful. I truly appreciate it!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @baligirl! I am so happy to hear that Lars suggestion helped :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@baligirl - sorry for the delay in my reply; I was past the time I needed to go last evening, but what a nice surprise to come back to today; glad I was able to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.