If I try to login to my AMEX app on iPhone 1Password doesn't acknowledge the login credentials.

judittw
judittw
Community Member

The data is in 1Password. However, it won't give it to me because it starts with m.amex . . . . I tried adding website in login but it still won't bring it up

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS12.2
Sync Type: 1Password for Teams & 1Password for Families
Referrer: forum-search:mobile website not recognized

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @judittw! Welcome to the forum!

What is the complete URL of the website you are trying to visit, and the complete URL that you have added to your 1Password item? If you could let me know, I can try to test this on my device and see if I can replicate the issue.

Thank you!

• judittw
    judittw
    Community Member

It’s actually happening using the AMEX app on my phone.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

Hi @judittw,

I see several AMEX apps in the App Store. Can you give me the URL of the one that you are using so I can see if it's available in my country? I would like to test this on my device and see if I can reproduce this.

Thank you!

• judittw
    judittw
    Community Member
  • judittw
    judittw
    Community Member

Thank you

• Hi @judittw

I actually ran into this myself over the weekend. I think AMEX may have made a change to their app. In any event, I found adding exactly this to a website field on my AMEX login item resolved the issue:

m.amex

(no http / https prefix)

Ben

• judittw
    judittw
    Community Member

Hi Ben-- I added the website and it still wouldn't work. I'll do it again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @judittw,

Have you added the website exactly as Ben mentioned?

Please keep us posted!

• judittw
    judittw
    Community Member

I did -- but I am thinking it was when the app was first updated so things didn't jive. It's working now. Thanks for your responsiveness.

You know, I teach this to people. Doing a 1 yr course now and this is really high level. Not sure how they would know to do these things . . . just a little tidbit from me who works with people teaching tech as a business.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2019

Thanks for the update, and for the feedback @judittw. I think that is a fair point, but I'm not sure how we could reasonably address it. Do you have any suggestions as to how we might make the process more accessible?

The ideal situation is that apps are published such that the app uses the same domain as their website (e.g. AMEX would use americanexpress.com both for their app and website). Most companies do this. In these cases no additional action is needed. When you save a login for americanexpress.com either from the website or within their app it'll work for either. For apps that don't use a consistent domain (e.g. m.amex for the app, and americanexpress.com for the website...) additional steps are required.

One thing we can do to help with this is update the wizard we have on iOS for creating new logins, so that it automatically adds the m.amex domain to newly created American Express logins. That'll help anyone who hasn't already saved a login... but it won't help anyone who already has one saved.

Ben

• judittw
    judittw
    Community Member

By the way, keychain data didn't need that website change to work.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2019

By the way, keychain data didn't need that website change to work.

iCloud Keychain doesn't have the same phishing protection that 1Password does. 1Password will only fill login items on websites where the URL matches a website field on the 1Password login item. This is not necessarily the case with other password managers.

Ben

• judittw
    judittw
    Community Member

Ben—as much as can be built in so that it’s automated is key. I will no longer teach this in a 3 hr guest lecture or even a 6 week class. I have found folks get overwhelmed and stop using it. The year program has been working out well because they keep coming back for learning but it doesn’t sink in fast.

• Automation and security are a tough pairing, but I hear what you're saying. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.