Where is my vault in the online version?

Options

I switched from standalone 1Password 4 with the vault in Dropbox to a trial online version of 1Password that includes 1Password 7. After setup I had two vaults that were essentially the same vault. The two vaults were "Private" for which I do not know the location, and "1Password.opvault" in dropbox. I told the program to use the "Private" vault but don't know if that was correct, or where that vault is located. Is Private a virtual vault? Do I no longer use the Dropbox vault with the online version of 1Password? The vaults were duplicates. Which vault should I be using?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Where is my vault in the online version? Switched from version 4 standalone with vault in Dropbox.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @KeithWeyer!

Is Private a virtual vault? Do I no longer use the Dropbox vault with the online version of 1Password? The vaults were duplicates. Which vault should I be using?

Excellent questions! The Private vault of your new 1password.com account is not a virtual vault. The difference is that in previous, standalone 1Password, you create vaults (and data) on your local device, and if you wish, set up advanced syncing via Dropbox or another method. With 1password.com accounts, the "canonical" record of your data lives on the 1password.com servers (which also performs all sync chores), and you have a local cache of that data on your own device, so you can use it when you don't have an internet connection, for example. You did the correct thing, but I'd suggest you use these instructions to remove the now-redundant Primary vault on your PC, since keeping it in place with the identical data will mean over time that you'll likely be making changes (even inadvertently) to both vaults, meaning they'll no longer be identical copies. And you don't need two copies of the data anyway. :) So go ahead and remove the redundant Primary vault -- on ALL your devices where you use a 1Password app -- and enjoy the zero-config seamless syncing of your new 1password.com account. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

• KeithWeyer
    KeithWeyer
    Community Member
    Options

So 1Password.opvault is a vault profile used by the standalone versions of 1Password only and is not needed and not used by the online version?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KeithWeyer - not quite. OPVault is a sync keychain that is used when you choose to sync standalone data with iCloud or Dropbox. With iCloud, it's not as visible, but with Dropbox, you have a way to view things right in the file system hierarchy, in your Dropbox folder.

But you're correct that OPVault is neither needed nor usable with a 1password.com account. If you've made the switch, you can remove any OPVault files from your Dropbox without fear of losing your data.

• KeithWeyer
    KeithWeyer
    Community Member
    Options

I guess I have 30 days to decide which way to go.

1. If I stay with the online account do I still need 1Password 7 on my desktop?

2. I switched from desktop version 4 to 7 because 4 no longer supported the extension in Chrome.

What is the benefit of the online version vs just having 7 on my desktop and 1P iPhone apps and X to work with my chrome browser, i.e. what I had before without having the online version?

Why switch to the online version?

• It's actually up to you whether you keep 1Password 7, @KeithWeyer. With 1Password X and a 1Password membership, you can actually use 1Password entirely in your browser – no desktop app required at all. With a standalone vault, you'd need to keep the desktop app – 1Password X utilizes many features of 1Password.com in order to avoid needing a desktop app, so it's not usable without a 1Password membership.

If you like 1Password X, that's one reason out the gate to use a 1Password membership, but I'd also add the ease of sharing with family, access to a complete Item History, included apps (and upgrades) across your devices, and Travel Mode as some additional highlights, nevermind not having to worry about setting up sync. That my parents are able to use it (I can't imagine them trying to set up sync with Dropbox) is enough on its own for me, but 1Password memberships have a little something for everyone. It's up to you if you want to make that switch, but I think they have plenty of value to justify what ultimately amounts to a Starbucks a month in cost. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.