Where Is My Primary Vault Located/I Do Not Have A 1Password Account

MrMojoOne
MrMojoOne
Community Member

I have just upgraded from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7. While I am able to locate my backups, I do not know where my Primary Vault is located on my Mac. I do not currently have a 1Password account. I want to know the vault location so I can ascertain whether my Primary Vault is included in my Backblaze and CrashPlan backups.

Is the Primary Vault in the same location for both 1Password 6 and 7? (I don't know the answer for either version.)

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.12.6
Sync Type: No Sync

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrMojoOne: 1Password data is cached in the support folder (whose location will vary depending on what you're using exactly), but there will only be a "vault" written to disk if you're syncing. It's best to do a full disk backup no matter what, but if you want to have your vault written to a specific location for backup and restore purposes you can set it to sync with a local folder of your choosing in Preferences > Sync. Cheers! :)

• MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member

You say it is cached in the "support folder" whose location will vary depending on what I am using exactly... What do you mean "what I am using?" The 1Password version? The Mac OS version? And are you saying that unless I sync more than one device there is no actual "vault" created?

Another problem I am having: It appears that the trial version is limited in certain ways. . . I do not find an "Edit" button for example. How can I properly evaluate version 7 when I do not have access to basic functions that I normally have in version 6? I may need to switch back to version 6 simply because I am having trouble doing basic functions while working on my computer.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MrMojoOne - apologies for the confusion. There is always a vault created; if there were not, you wouldn't have any data. If you're using 1Password 7 for Mac, then your data file (all vaults, all data) is in the following location:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

If your CrashPlan and/or Backblaze backups are capturing your /User/Library folder, then this is included in your backups on whatever schedule you're using.

• MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member

Thank you Lars. I've confirmed that the data files are in that location. While Backblaze excludes the System Library from its backups, User Libraries are included. I now know that my 1Password 7 data is being backed up.

Does 1Password 6 use the same location?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MrMojoOne - no. 1Password 6 for Mac (and earlier) data location was dependent upon whether your version of 1Password was installed from us or from the Mac App Store. The two locations for that are:

• Mac App Store - ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite
    • AgileBits version - ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

Hope that's helpful. :)

• MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member

Very helpful! My previous version is from the App Store so the Primary Vault location is the same as for v.7. Prior to v.6 I had a Family License from the AgileBits store.

I still have a 1Password.agilekeychain in my Documents folder, presumably from an older version than 1Password 6. I assume that it is safe to trash that. . . ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrMojoOne: Versions from 2 to 6 used AgileKeychain. So if you've already got all your data in 1Password 7, you really don't need the old vault anymore. The only thing it could be used for at this point would be reverting to an old version or importing into version 7. So if you're good to go with version 7 already it won't benefit you. :)

• MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

The AgileKeychain in my Documents folder that I referred to in my previous post has not been opened for over a year. The AgileKeychain that was being used by v.6 is actually located in a Dropbox folder, which I had been using to sync my devices until I ran into a problem months ago.

This is the issue: Within the past year I switched to an external SSD boot drive but for some reason the AgileKeychain did not make the transfer from the internal hard drive to the SSD. 1Password has continued to access the AgileKeychain in Dropbox on my internal drive. I just discovered this today.

If I move that AgileKeychain from the internal drive to the SSD, will I be able to connect 1Password to it should I need to downgrade and for Cloud backup purposes? I can see that the AgileKeychain on the internal drive was accessed this morning even though I am using 1Password7 not v.6.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MrMojoOne

If I move that AgileKeychain from the internal drive to the SSD, will I be able to connect 1Password to it should I need to downgrade and for Cloud backup purposes?

I think there are two questions here, but even before that is the question of why this is important? If you're already on 1Password 7 for Mac, why do you need old Agile Keychains from when you used version 6 that are no longer in use?

1Password for Mac (any recent version, from 4 on) can connect to a sync keychain in any location. That's called Folder Sync. So the answer to your question of whether you can "connect 1Password to it" is yes -- though that won't be true if you're using version 7, as the Agile Keychain format has been formally retired in version 7; you'd need to convert it to the newer OPVault format. But versions 4-6 would be able to connect to an Agile Keychain anywhere on your hard drive you have read/write access to. The second part of your question is whether you'd be able to use it for Dropbox (which I'm inferring from the fact that you've mentioned this is IN your Dropbox folder). That's a Dropbox issue, and one we can't help you with. The answer is no -- Dropbox would require you to have your 1Password sync keychain IN the Dropbox folder -- and 1Password's Dropbox Sync assumes this as well. I'm really not sure what you're attempting to accomplish here, or why you think you need to do it.

• koinoniakid
    koinoniakid
    Community Member

I just installed 1password 6 on my wife's new macbook and I think I may have used an old .opvault file in dropbox to set up 1password. How do I change the .opvault I am using to synch the program. I am not sure why I had two .opvault files--one is in the general dropbox folder and the most current one is in a folder called 1passwordlegacyagilekeychain folder

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @koinoniakid! Welcome to the forum!

If there is nothing else in this 1Password app, you can start over and select the correct vault the next time you launch the app :)

• koinoniakid
    koinoniakid
    Community Member

my password app is full of information so i don't think that I want to start over. But If I start over (followed your link), will that delete the .opvault file in dropbox or affect other macs that might be using this same data file?

• But If I start over (followed your link), will that delete the .opvault file in dropbox or affect other macs that might be using this same data file?

It will not.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.