To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Ability to use a backup 2FA option? So using Yubikey and/or Authenticator if one is lost?

Options

Is there any plan on the roadmap to add the ability to use two forms of 2FA? So both Authenticator and Yubikey, and if you lost your phone with the authenticator, you can use the Yubikey, and vice versa?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FCb2JqAiaNrzGyiQEzFq: We don't have a roadmap that we share publicly because it's subject to change. Nor do we have a plan to add what you're asking for: you're already able to use multiple authenticators, as there's nothing stopping you from using your account's TOTP secret in multiple apps/devices to generate the code. Have you tried that?

• FCb2JqAiaNrzGyiQEzFq
    FCb2JqAiaNrzGyiQEzFq
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty That is a possible alternative, but a Yubikey is just more secure to use than authentication codes (although we're talking about diminishing returns here). This would be similar to what Google does, you can set up multiple methods of 2FA, one of them being authentication code and Yubikey.

To be clear, when I set up 2FA for 1Password, if I scan the QR code in 3 different apps, they'll all work and be in sync?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019
    Options

@FCb2JqAiaNrzGyiQEzFq: Sort of. But there is no sync. Each authenticator app/device generates the code using the TOTOP secret and the current time. So as long as your devices are up to date the result will be the same. Again, you can use authenticator apps or YubiKey for this. 1Password doesn't mind either way. :)

• FCb2JqAiaNrzGyiQEzFq
    FCb2JqAiaNrzGyiQEzFq
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I’m not familiar with using multiple YubiKeys. Can I add two or 3 keys to 1Password and they both work?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FCb2JqAiaNrzGyiQEzFq: Yes. You just setup more than one identically, as mentioned in the guide:

Use your YubiKey to sign in to your 1Password account

If you set them all up the same, they will all generate the same code. :)

This discussion has been closed.