Version 7 From Version 6

williewonder
williewonder
Community Member

Does the subscription that you're pushing so hard include all upgrades, including new versions? ie When V8 is released, does the subscription is it provided without another charge?

Where is the documentation how to store the vault on the local device only, and not have any of the cloud features used and have no data sent to the 1Password server?

Does Version 7 improve the password filling process? Version 6 fails in many sites?

What is the cost of a single license for V7 for MacOS?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@williewonder: All 1Password memberships include everything: all 1Password apps and updates. :)

We don't have documentation for using local vaults with a 1Password membership because the whole point of a 1Password membership is not having to deal with any of that hassle. It's certainly possible to use local vaults with a membership, but not something we recommend since it's easy to get confused about where your encrypted data is stored, and also then it isn't possible to benefit from a lot of what a 1Password membership includes: Travel Mode, item history, automatic offsite backup, zero-config sync, and the additional security of the Secret Key.

1Password 7 in particular doesn't improve filling itself so much as each release of 1Password gets the latest improvements to our filling "Brain". This is incremental, and each iteration has a number of fixes both for site-specific issues and general filling logic. So by staying up to date with 1Password, you automatically get all of that too. It's not perfect, as there are some websites 1Password may never work with due to their user- and password-manager-hostile designs, and many others we've simply never encountered (yet?), but it's something we're constantly working on.

A single license for 1Password for Mac version 7 is about 65$US, but you may be able to get it at a discount if it's still on sale when you read this, from within the app itself. You can find more details in the announcement:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• williewonder
    williewonder
    Community Member

I have V6 and V7 won't even install. Gives message to Quit 1Pass but quitting doesn't let it install.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @williewonder,

Can you make sure you also quit 1Password Mini in the menu bar? Does 1Password 7 install without issues now?

• mhbx
    mhbx
    Community Member

I look at all these 'benefits of the membership model and find none of them apply to me.
    So I wonder if v6 is going to keep working, or are you going to force abandoning that quite useful and quite functional version for something full of tricks and features that are not needed
    Esp, for example, the "family" plan...
    (which, if it were applicable, might be worth the upgrade... )

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mhbx!

1Password 6 will only receive critical security updates from now on, and is no longer in development. You can continue using it for as long as you like, but you have to be aware that updates out of our control (such as those in browsers and operating systems) will make it not compatible in the future. Especially if you keep updating everything other than 1Password, while keeping 1Password on version 6, things will stop working sooner or later.

If you do not need all the features in a Membership, why do you not purchase a license for version 7 instead? At the end of the day, 1Password is security software so we recommend keeping it up to date to get all the latest fixes and security improvements.

This discussion has been closed.