Sync failing

Options
nununo
nununo
Community Member

Hi,

My sync is not working properly. I have an entry showing in my iPhone and iPad.
I also use 1Password on a MacBook Pro which was I didn't use for 1 month and on which I had turned off iCloud sync for security reasons. Now I turned sync back on on that MacBook Pro and found that a recent entry which I had added while the MacBook was off is not showing in the MacBook Pro.

It goes like this:

1. Turned off MacBook's sync for 1 month
  2. I just used the iPhone for 1 month and added some entries on it iPhone during that period (total: 811 elements)
  3. Turned MacBook sync back on and after syncing it reports 809 elements, which is wrong.
  4. Opened iPad for the first time, saw 809, then it sync'd and 2 seconds later it showed 811 elements, so it's ok.

I have sync'd all the devices several times. They all say they are sync'd but my MacBook Pro still says 809 elements. So, 2 elements missing.

I only found this because I needed one which was missing. I don't know which one is the other. But this is scary and I don't know what to do.

Please advise.

Regards,
Nuno

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• nununo
    nununo
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I seem to have found the problem. I decided to turn off iCloud sync in my MacBook and when I turned it on again it said iCloud was not available. It turns out that, indeed, I still hadn't turned on iCloud Drive.

The problem, it seems, is that, even though iCloud was not available, 1Password for Mac was still reporting that it was syncing successfully. And that Is why I was misled.

Now... after successfully syncing my MacBook Pro again, that missing entry is now showing. But it still reports only 810 elements against 811 in my iPhone and iPad. I have no idea which entry is missing but this makes me uneasy.

Please help me clarify this.

Regards,
    Nuno

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nununo!

If you open 1Password on your Mac and go to Preferences > Sync tab, when did the last sync take place there? I wonder if the Mac didn't sync at all, or if it did, but it's missing two items.

However, when it comes to iCloud sync issues, I recommend going through all the recommendations included in this article. Because iCloud is outside our control, we prepared that document so you can go through the troubleshooting process directly on your device, as you are the only one with access to your iCloud data.

I hope this helps!

• nununo
    nununo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana,

Even before I found that iCloud was not accessible, it was saying it had successfully sync'd like 2 seconds ago. And I checked several times.

But I see what you mean that you cannot control iCloud and will look at that article.

Would you advise against using iCloud and opt to use Dropbox? I currently don't use Dropbox, I use OneDrive, but I could use my free account just for this if you believe it is more robust.

Thanks,
    Nuno

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nununo, no I wouldn't advise against either iCloud nor Dropbox, as they are both outside our control, so the same would apply for both of them. However I would strongly advise you to try a 1Password memberships (you can try it for free for the first month). It has been a far more popular choice and from the feedback we get, people prefer the ease that having a 1Password membership comes with (when it comes to things like managing backups, syncing, multi-device management etc.).

Basically, everything is included with memberships. All the devices you need are included for free, sync happens automatically, backups are taken care of straight away, everything you would expect is there. You get storage for secured documents, item history, watchtower, travel mode, ease of sharing with your family, team or business should you want to upgrade from an individuals membership later on... The list goes on and on.

When it comes to sync specifically, using 1Password.com means that we can help troubleshoot sync issues because we can see what is happening and where things are failing.

Please let me know if the troubleshooting article solved the issue.

Thank you!

• nununo
    nununo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana,

I do understand the advantages of 1Password membership. It's tempting. I just didn't subscribe because, being a 1Password early-adopter, I have bought it 3 times already:

• old downloadable OS X
    • Mac App Store
    • iOS

Opting for the membership would mean throwing all that money away and start paying for 1Password yet again. I expected some sort of benefits for the existing members, especially having bought it 3 times already.

Or are there any benefits that I don't know of?

Thanks,
    Nuno

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nununo - thanks so much for being an early adopter; 1Password literally wouldn't be where it is today without the early support of people like you who took a chance and jumped in early. It's hard to believe it's been nearly thirteen years already! I haven't been here that long; only Dave and Roustem were around in the very beginning. And of course I don't know when you first purchased 1Password, but assuming it was sometime in those first few years (say, 2006-2009?), then it sounds like you've purchased 1Password for Mac twice in ten years. 1Password for iOS is a different story, because it is (like all our apps) written in native code appropriate to the platform on which it's being developed. That's why we used to sell our apps per-platform; because each one was a separate item that required separate resources to develop and maintain.

In those same ten years, we've gone from 1Password 3 for Mac through version 4, 5 and 6 -- and we're now on version 7. Some of these, you got as free upgrades (since you've purchased twice and 3-7 is five versions), and the same is true of 1Password for iOS -- it's gone through many revisions and new versions in those years. That's why I don't really understand this:

Opting for the membership would mean throwing all that money away...

How so? Did you not get your money's worth for the versions you bought? If you don't think you did, we'd be happy to hear what you thought was lacking about those older versions of 1Password that adds up to not being worth what you paid back then. If it's just a question of having to pay for a new version, though, isn't that pretty standard software industry practice? There are currently 143 people that work alongside me here at 1Password, spread out all over the globe. Developing, quality-testing, maintaining, designing and supporting new versions of four separate native 1Password apps plus the server backend, security measures and the web app (plus the other bits-and-bobs of running a business that distributes software globally) all takes a continuing revenue stream. So whatever money you (or anyone else) pays us today is for the current work we've done and continue to do to make 1Password the best password manager it can be.

We do still sell standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac, but that's just a different method of paying for what you're getting: a considerably larger, up-front lump sum rather than a smaller, easier-to-budget, monthly or annual amount. And that's not all; there are many benefits of membership, not least of which is that all four of our native apps are included at no extra charge, and that also include all future upgrades, for as long as you maintain the account. So no more fussing with applying license files or wondering whether you can download the latest version or you have to purchase a new license for a new version, etc. You just download the latest and go, so you're always up-to-date.

In terms of discounts, we don't have any promotions going just now of which I'm aware, but if you get in touch with sales@1password.com they may be able to help -- make sure you include a link to this thread, so we can "connect the dots." Thanks again! :)

• nununo
    nununo
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars, thank you for taking the time to give me such a thorough answer. Your arguments make total sense to me. I have to agree: I've used what I've paid for. I will take what you said into consideration and will consider switching to a subscription. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome @nununo :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• nununo
    nununo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. To you too.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.