How to work with automatically-generated passwords that must be manually typed

Anchises
Anchises
Community Member

My health provider (Sutter Health) requires manually typed passwords. I would appreciate advice as to how best to best to use 1Password generated passwords under this circumstance. Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

@Anchises: Use a random word-based password instead. :) All current versions of 1Password can create those too. For reference, because 1Password's Wordlist consists of about 18000 words, a password generated using is, at three words long, about 42 bits of entropy. Recently it took people about 6 months to guess such a password with the aid of computer hardware, even when hints and a cash prize were provided. Using a four-word random password instead will be exponentially stronger. In either case, it makes it easy to type. :sunglasses:

But I'd encourage you to, as their customer, to reach out to them and encourage them to stop making it difficult for you to use a password manager to improve your security when using their service, which you're paying for, as that would benefit both you and them alike. This is directed specifically at banks, but as the same principles apply, you may find this blog post helpful when discussing security practices with your heath provider:

An open letter to banks

But in the mean time, until such time that they change their policies, a random word-based password can help. :)

This discussion has been closed.