Fill one time password from Messages

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

I have a site, https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SiView.action, where the 1Password fill from messages is not working. This function used to work perfect. Got any ideas?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.5 (70205004) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: 10.14.4 (18E226)
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Steve_H!

Can you please clarify the steps that you are following so I can try to reproduce the issue here? Thank you!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Sure can, I go to the site. 1Password will usually fill in the user name and password. Then on the next page it will ask how do you want to receive your security code. I pick text message. I do get the text message, but, then 1Password does not show the blue popup that will enable 1Password to fill in the code from the text message. At that point I have to cut and paste. I think it might have more to do with the site than 1Password?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

The same problem exists on the IRS web site. So maybe it is a setting in Safari? On the IRS web site, the blue box for the one time password does show up but only if you in the one time password box and then click outside the box.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I just did a little test with the Intuit site and it works just fine...so....

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

If you like you can just close and delete this post. I can live with it if you can.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the additional information @Steve_H!

I think I understand where the problem is:

Then on the next page it will ask how do you want to receive your security code. I pick text message.

1Password will only show you the popup to automatically fill the 2FA code when 1Password itself is generating the code. In other words, the 2FA generator must be included in the 1Password item in order for the feature to work.

I just did a little test with the Intuit site and it works just fine...so....

Are you also using SMS authentication on the Intuit site?

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

There might be some confusion on what is not working. The autofill of one-time passwords received via SMS is not a feature of 1Password but an iOS 12 feature. It uses the same iOS-Password-Autofill interface as 1Password uses for systemwide integration.
    If the code via SMS is not detected by iOS there is nothing that Agilebits can do, only Apple can make changes to that behaviour as 3rd party apps cannot access text message content.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Indeed @peacekeeper, I think this is all happening outside of 1Password, if you know what I mean. I am not aware of 1Password being able to handle SMS codes at all when it comes to 2FA, hence my question :)

This discussion has been closed.