"Save new login" on entry creation leads to broken autofill

Options

I don't like copy-pasting passwords, so when I create a new website login, by usual method is:

1. Go to website "create account" page
  2. Launch 1Password app
  3. Create a new entry
  4. Manually fill in website title, username, website URL
  5. Generate a new password directly in the entry
  6. Save
  7. Manually fill in username, name, email, etc. again, this time in the browser window
  8. Place cursor in password field
  9. Click the 1Password button
  10. Right-click the entry, hover over password, "type in window" to get the password where I want it

Today I was creating a new account on gitlab.com, and decided to try something new.

1. Go to website "create account" page
  2. Fill in all the details except for password
  3. Click 1Password button
  4. Click gear icon, "save new login"
  5. ...I don't remember exactly what I did, but I got to the point where I was editing the entry...
  6. Generate new password directly in the entry as before
  7. Go to browser window and place cursor in the password field
  8. Click 1Password button
  9. Right-click the entry, hover over password, "type in window" to get the password entered

The newly created entry was not usable. All the information was there, but the "web for details" section had the entries for the "create account" page so it refused to fill in the actual login page.

I gave up trying to correct the existing entry so I manually created a new entry and copy-pasted all the data from the old entry. The new entry works.

Is there a better way I could have fixed the problem? Or just a way to delete web form details? I've been bitten a few times by the web form details causing 1Password to second-guess me and refuse to work as normal.

1Password Version: 7.3.657 (Windows)
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90 (Firefox)
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fritzophrenic: 1Password only saves what you tell it too. So if you save on a "sign up" page but try to fill on an actual login page, often those will be different. It's best to save a new Login item on the page where you want to use it, since then 1Password will have the information about that page. :)

• fritzophrenic
    fritzophrenic
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I'll keep that in mind in the future, and just stick with the first method I layed out. Hopefully I can train my family to do it that way.

I kind of feel like the "save new login" feature, and automatic capture of new logins, is only really useful if you already have a bunch of passwords not in 1Password, probably because you just got started with it.

Creating new logins when you are already using 1Password is not very intuitive or user-friendly if you normally just use the browser plugin. Luckily that doesn't happen very often.

• We don't disagree with that assessment, @fritzophrenic, and actually have some ideas in mind to make this a bit less finicky. As brenty said, though, 1Password only saves what you tell it to and, related to that, it only knows what it can glean from your browser. So, it reads the page and saves the URL and field labels that are there. It doesn't know that the sign-in page will have the fields labeled differently. Heck, you likely don't know that either – most of us aren't peeking at the code for the sites we visit. Beyond that, some sign-up pages have different domains from their respective sign-in pages (for reasons that continue to elude me), so that's another thing that can trip the extension up. It's a struggle to be sure, but one we're definitely aware of and we sincerely hope we'll find a solution to make this process smoother for new and existing Logins alike. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fritzophrenic: I'd argue that autosave is really helpful with regard to not getting locked out of accounts. I'd rather have a saved Login item for the wrong page (signup) than none at all. But you also make really good points. :)

This discussion has been closed.