To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Sharing a vault with my employer who doesn't use 1Password

JMcCorison
JMcCorison
Community Member

I use 1Password for both personal and work use. I have created a separate vault which contains only work related content. My employer does not use 1Password. How can I provide them with access to the work vault in the event of my departure from the company, or worse, from the world. Obviously they would need to purchase 1Password in order to use the vault. Can I accomplish this without giving them my credentials which I would not be willing to do.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2019

Hi @JMcCorison,

The ideal situation is that any work-related data would be stored in a 1Password account that is part of a membership owned by the business. If that is not something that can be made to happen then I'd recommend a 1Password Familes membership, inviting your boss to your account as a guest, and giving them access to only the work-related vault:

Share with guests in 1Password Families

This access could be read-only if desired, so that your employer can't make modifications to the items. That puts the financial onus on you, rather than your employer, but that's between you and them. :) As I say, the ideal situation would be for them to have a 1Password Teams or 1Password Business membership in which you have an account where you store these items.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• JMcCorison
    JMcCorison
    Community Member

Ben,

I agree that the ideal solution would be for them to get a Teams account. I'm trying to gently push in that direction. Our organization is rife with note sheets containing lists of account and passwords. A real recipe for disaster. But they're budget conscious and the person at the top is really hesitant about subscription services. I have no need for a family account as I've tried, without success, to get my wife to use 1Password. I not willing to spend extra money on behalf of my employer that they are unwilling to spend for themselves. Thanks for the ideas though. It's appreciated.

Cheers,
    Jim

• @JMcCorison

I not willing to spend extra money on behalf of my employer that they are unwilling to spend for themselves.

Can't blame you there. :) Perhaps it would help to pose this question to your employer. e.g. "What are you going to do about all these passwords only I know if I'm gone?"

Ben

This discussion has been closed.