Using 1Password on a Mac or with IOS with the iTunes Store

dewarner
dewarner
Community Member

As a new 1Password user, I am still figuring out how to make it work with many different types of programs and websites. I am having particular difficulty with the iTunes Store on my Mac and also in IOS. All I have been able to figure out so far is to go into the login I have for it and copy the password and then paste it in since it is not a normal app or website. Is there another, more efficient way to accomplish this?

Thanks -

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dewarner - 1Password has traditionally allowed you to fill Logins and Password items into your browser(s) to make signing into websites where you have an account easier and more secure. But there's always been the ability to store other types of sensitive/important data in 1Password also, including Credit Cards and Identities, but also including things you'll probably never be "filling" but still want to keep secure, like your Passport info or License info for various software you own.

But recently, Apple has made strides to allow users, particularly on iOS, to be able to fill into apps other than just Safari. Here are instructions for that. Additionally, if your version of iOS is up to date, you can use these settings to set up AutoFill on your iOS device, and you'll be able to use 1Password instead of iCloud Keychain wherever iOS asks for or suggests passwords.

On the Mac, things aren't quite as far along. Apple is likely to expand the ability of 3rd party password managers like us to be able to fill directly into native apps instead of just browsers, but we're not quite there yet. Some of the code exists - for example, open iTunes on your Mac, then use the command+backslash ( ⌘\ ) keyboard combination, and you'll see 1Password has detected that iTunes is the front-most app, and offered you only your Apple passwords. We haven't been granted the necessary APIs to either fill or save directly from Applications...but I suspect that's coming sometime in the foreseeable future. Until then, however, you'll need to copy/paste your credentials from within 1Password into the app in question.

• dewarner
    dewarner
    Community Member

Thanks for the response.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome @dewarner!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.