new member - have passwords in vault - sites still ask for password to sign in

using Chrome
went to few sites, changed password, got 1P popup, clicked save or update depending on action needed, signed out and closed site
Also added a few sites by opening 1P app, clicking on + sign, typing in name such as Target, accepted 1P generated password
In neither case does the password fill in when I open the original site.

there is a little circle with a 1 in it on the chrome page, upper right corner

What am I doing wrong or missing?

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:new member - have passwords in vault - sites still ask for password to sign in

Comments

• Hello, @barbjth2, and welcome to the 1Password family. 👋 1Password won't fill unless you tell it to. This is a security feature designed to avoid certain types of attacks where your usernames and passwords can be automatically and invisibly harvested by a malicious website. The simple act of requiring you to trigger filling – whether by using Ctrl + \ or by clicking that extension icon you referenced and selecting a Login item there – provides some extra protection from these sorts of attacks.

This exact kind of security issue was actually in the news somewhat recently and our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts, Jeff Goldbger, seized the opportunity to write about it on our blog, if you're interested:

https://blog.1password.com/1password-keeps-you-safe-by-keeping-you-in-the-loop/

In short, though, you're on the right track – you just need to let 1Password know you'd like to fill on that original site by using one of the filling triggers I noted above and you'll be set. 👍

• barbjth2
    barbjth2
    Community Member

Got it! And it was so simple. Thanks!!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@barbjth2: On behalf of Kate you are very welcome!

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.