Suddenly auto-submitting

Nunuv Yurbiz
Nunuv Yurbiz
Community Member

I don't know what changed - maybe Mojave 14.4, or 1Password auto-updating - but suddenly passwords auto-submit. Yes, even though "submit" is unchecked in the extension button, individual login items are set to "submit when enabled" (which it isn't), and in the 1Password app "automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords" is unchecked.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: OS X 14.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Nunuv Yurbiz: Interestingly, Apple removed support for the scripting method we were using for autosubmit in Mojave. We've heard that they're working on autosubmit for their own Password Autofill feature in Safari and iOS, but unless they announce otherwise at WWDC it's probably not something we can take advantage of ourselves. :)

So the question is probably going to be, what is happening on your machine? If you enable autosubmit in 1Password, you'll almost certainly get an error when filling. Are you certain that you're filling using 1Password, and that you do't have something else sending the Return key? 1Password 6 was discontinued last year, so it isn't even possible that you'd get an update for that. This is fascinating. :)

• Nunuv Yurbiz
    Nunuv Yurbiz
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

@brenty I'm definitely using 1Password. Since autosubmit was unchecked in preferences, I thought I'd enable it and then disable it to see if that helped. It asked me to download some scripting software when I enabled it. With it enabled, the first time I tried to use it, it popped up a window saying, "“1Password“ wants access to control “System Events“. Allowing control will provide access to documents and data in “System Events“, and to perform actions within that app." It then gave an error, "The operation couldn't be completed. /Users/***/Library/Application Scripts/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/1Password_Autosubmit.scpt:140:156: execution error: System Events got an error: osascript is not allowed to send keystrokes. (1002)" So I think that's reflective of what you noted. So then I unchecked it, and just now I tried a couple of sites and it seems to not be autosubmitting. Fingers crossed.

It's strange that it was autosubmitting, without it being checked, given the removed support.

Not a big fan of subscriptions, I'm afraid.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Nunuv Yurbiz: Correct. That's the error I'd expect, due to changes in Mojave. Just to clarify, when you disable it again, are forms still submitting on their own? The only thing I can think of is that an autosubmit script from an older version might have been hanging around (we used to use a different method which was less reliable, but often did work), and perhaps it got carried along by the OS even after you upgraded, even though you won't be able to install a similar script successfully now.

• Nunuv Yurbiz
    Nunuv Yurbiz
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

@brenty Correct, it's working as expected now. I suppose I should blow away the script that got installed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Nunuv Yurbiz - glad to hear things are working as expected now. Removing the autosubmit script is a good final, clean-up step, yes. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On the one hand, it might be good if macOS cleared out something like that for you when upgrading, since it isn't supported any longer. But on the other, it's cool that our stuff can get "grandfathered" in in some cases, even as changes are made to lock things down for better security. Thanks for the update! :)

This discussion has been closed.