Dropbox Basic now supports only 3 devices

Eden Bensal
Eden Bensal
Community Member
edited April 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I've got this email now from dropbox
Look at the screenshot attached

I'm using 1Password in my Mac mini, Macbook Air, iPhone 7, iPad mini 2 and Windows PC Laptop. 5 devices.

Do you know if dropbox counting mobile devices as 1 of 3 devices they allow for free user?

Dropbox document

Comments

• If you're only using Dropbox for 1Password on those mobile devices, there is a difference there, @Eden Bensal. 1Password for Android and iOS both utilize the Dropbox API to sync, rather than requiring you to have the Dropbox app installed like on Mac and Windows. You'd have to ask Dropbox for an official answer, of course, but I don't find your analysis of that screenshot unreasonable. That they would treat apps connecting via the API differently than devices where you have Dropbox installed would also make logical sense. That said, I wouldn't rely on anyone's opinion here – only Dropbox can tell you their official stance and if you want to be certain, I'd ask them directly. :+1:

• pahnev
    pahnev
    Community Member

All my iOS devices show up separately.
    @1password any chance you’re planning now to support some other syncing method on iOS since this dropbox limitation probably affects a lot of your users?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pahnev! Welcome to the forum!

No, we have no plans to support additional sync methods at the moment. We built 1Password.com exactly to avoid having to rely on a third-party service to sync your data. Our own sync service does not have any limitations whatsoever, and is therefore the best method available to sync your data. 1Password.com does not limit us and our 1Password Membership customers when it comes to how many devices they are using and is therefore already our recommended option.

I hope you understand that we are not able to control changes third party providers decide to implement, and therefore prefer (and owe it to our customers) to controls things directly to offer the best possible service without relying on anyone else.

Not to mention, sync is not the only benefit of a 1Password Membership: everything is included with memberships. All the devices you need are included for free, sync happens automatically, backups are taken care of straight away, everything you would expect is there. You get storage for secured documents, item history, watchtower, travel mode, ease of sharing with your family, team or business should you want to upgrade from an individual membership later on, and more.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• pahnev
    pahnev
    Community Member

I understand your preference to get people on membership. I tried that last year and ended up getting single licence because I really didn’t need all the additional features and yet another subscription to pay for. I’ve been using the standalone apps for years and they’re still more than capable for managing my passwords, only the syncing now is pretty crippled.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @pahnev. I understand where you are coming from, and this is indeed why we decided to introduce our own sync method. We don't want to rely on anyone else to offer our service.

Even if you don't need all the additional features that a Membership provides, you would still benefit from the sync feature without limitation on the number of devices you can use, so I think it would offer you a good value anyway.

This discussion has been closed.