Empty trash?

horatio8
horatio8
Community Member
edited April 2019 in Mac

I have been using 1P for over 6 years and I've never emptied the trash. I have almost 800 entries in the trash folder. Do most people empty the trash with some regularity, or never, like me? Also, can I delete a partial amount of trash, or is it all or none? I think the answer to the first question is, it doesn't matter - but I'm curious.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't empty my Trash in 1Password, but I think we are probably in the minority. :lol: Emptying the Trash is all or nothing. I mainly don't empty it because I do a lot of testing and often find myself digging an item out to try something again -- but I don't like that stuff sticking around day to day.

• I am an obsessive trash-emptier, @horatio8, but I think that really comes down to your personal preference. Aside from seeing the number of items you've trashed over the years in your apps, I can't think up anything harmful about keeping things in the trash. I will generally archive something (I have a vault for this) rather than delete it unless I'm thoroughly convinced I'll never need it again. As a result, I'm comfortable emptying it with regularity and keeping things tidy. My dad, on the other hand, refuses to empty his digital trash anywhere. Whether it's his computer or 1Password – if it has a trash folder, his is full of stuff that he "might need some day". Best no one here tells him I've been emptying our Shared vault's trash with regularity for years now. Either way, it comes down to different strokes for different folks, unless you're noticing poor behavior with your trash full of stuff.

That said, my dad isn't a total nut – emptying the trash is all or nothing, so if you suspect you might need something there and don't want to restore it from the trash, your only option is to keep everything. One thing definitely worth pointing out, though, is that if you have 1Password membership you can recover even items emptied from the trash for a year after you've emptied them using Item History. Way I see it, if you've gone a full year without needing a given item, you're not likely to need it ever. That makes me feel pretty comfortable emptying my trash, even though there's a non-zero risk I've screwed up and deleted something I didn't want to. If I genuinely need it, I'll miss it before a year has passed and getting it back isn't too big a fuss. :chuffed:

• horatio8
    horatio8
    Community Member

Wow - item history is a great feature, and makes my decision to empty the trash an easy one. I am very glad I changed to a membership, after waiting so long.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I am happy to hear this @horatio8! :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.