TouchId & shared family device

Dig_Doug
Dig_Doug
Community Member

How do I configure 1Password to use touch ID properly. on a shared, family device? We have an shared iPad with touch ID enabled for the whole family. It has 1password installed with touchid enabled. Trouble is, every touch ID enables access to every vault. In other words, my fingerprint (the 1password organizer) unlocks all of the vaults, but so does the fingerprint of my teenager.

How do I limit their fingerprint to just their vault.

1Password Version: v7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.2
Sync Type: 1Password family account
Referrer: forum-search:TouchId family

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dig_Doug!

We have an shared iPad with touch ID enabled for the whole family. It has 1password installed with touchid enabled. Trouble is, every touch ID enables access to every vault.

If the iPad itself is shared, any family member with access to that iPad will also have access to all the contents of the 1Password app. Once the 1Password app is unlocked, you get access to all information inside it, no matter who unlocked it.

In this case, each person should have their own 1Password app, with their own 1Password account connected to it, so that every one will have access only to their own set of data.

• Dig_Doug
    Dig_Doug
    Community Member

Is your suggestion, install multiple instances of one password on the iPad? I didn’t think that iOS allows you to install multiple instances of an app on a single device.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dig_Doug,

I didn't mean that, sorry for the misunderstanding! You are right that iOS does not allow multiple users yet, so this won't be possible right now. The only option would be to use entirely separate devices, where each user can install their own 1Password app with their own account credentials in it.

This discussion has been closed.