1Password mini isn't showing above a full screen game (Warframe)

I regularly use the keyboard shortcut ( Ctrl-Alt-\ ) to open 1Password mini so I can have 1Password type the password into Warframe. Now it won't show above the full screen application. It shows if used from the desktop.
I am using the release preview of Windows 10 1903. I am fairly sure it started right after that upgrade.

Graphics Card: Nvidia 2080 Ti.
Driver: 430.39

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 1903 18362.53
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Septarius,

Thank you for reporting this!

Am I right to understand that you use Type-in-Window in 1Password 7? If so, please confirm that Warframe is the only app that you have troubles with right now.

Are you able to copy and paste your password into Warframe, when it is full-screen? Please let me know.

Cheers,
    Greg

• Septarius
    Septarius
    Community Member

Hi Greg,

The 1Password mini window doesn’t show on top of Warframe. So I can’t use the copy/paste function without first alt-tabbing to the desktop.

Later today, I will attempt to use the 1Password mini window in other full screen apps to see if the mini window shows with them. Warframe is the only one I regularly log into.

• Another thing you might try, @Septarius, is using full screen windowed mode, if Warframe supports it. I use this for essentially every game I play since it's easier for me to move my mouse over to my secondary display whereas true full screen oftentimes traps your mouse on the primary display until you alt-tab. It also helped me get mini to show up on top of Mass Effect 2 where it was giving me trouble before. If it doesn't help, let me know. My partner plays Warframe, so I can steal his PC and do some testing if needed. :+1:

• Septarius
    Septarius
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

@Greg and @bundtkate,

Thanks for the great suggestion of Full Screen Windowed mode. It is highly successful.
    I typically don't run in Full Screen Windowed mode because there is a chance that the game won't see or use my high refresh rate (144Hz) which exclusive mode will use it 100% of the time.
    The good news is that Warframe appears to be running in Full Screen Windowed mode with the high refresh rate so I can use it for that game at least. 1Password has been a great help increasing the security of my login with the ease of not remembering the long password every time I launch. So I noticed the lack of the mini window right away and it is refreshing to have it back.

From my tests in the current Windows 10 1903 build changing to Full Screen Windowed worked to show the 1Password mini window above the game/application in all the tested applications.
    I cannot revert my current PC easily to retest in the 1809 build but I am confident that I usually used Full Screen Exclusive mode so I believe Microsoft could have a regression issue with Full Screen Exclusive mode. I will draft something up for their UserVoice feedback when I get a chance and see what they say.

Results, if interested, most of these don't require a login but it was the easiest way to verify the full screen workaround.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Zm6NTQ5KT22rb2BXRllN-CWJ5dJj9VLxM2aLG-WvrNA/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT:
    Looks like for Warframe in Full Screen Windowed mode the Type In selection will not show, or at least not consistently. Copy and paste works fine. Type in did work before but it isn't crucial just nice to have it.

• Window identification is still a bit of a challenge with type in window, @Septarius. I refer to it more as a proof-of-concept for the moment - it still has some limitations in the windows it can find/fill in, so some inconsistency there is expected for the moment. It's something we hope to improve and make more full-featured in a future update.

As for full screen windowed, I totally understand your concerns. I have some trouble with older games because I have a 21:9 monitor and many older games don't support that aspect ratio. If I run full screen exclusive, they'll run in 16:9 with those black bars on the side which is tolerable, but if I swap to full screen windowed, suddenly everything is warped trying to stretch a 16:9 game to fill a 21:9 screen. I can't say I understand why this a thing, but I do think there are some wrinkles that need ironed out with how Windows (or perhaps the games themselves) handle these settings when it comes to aspect ratios and I'd not be surprised if the same is true with higher refresh rates. Perhaps I'll have to use this as an excuse to try out Nvidia's new support for FreeSync monitors? "Sorry, guys, I've gotta play Doom so I can test a thing for a customer." Think it'll work? :wink:

Anyway, I'm glad making the swap in this particular case works for you and, of course, if I can do anything else to help just let me know. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.