Confusion about buying into Membership after downloading V7 from Apple App Store

Just set up my new Mac and migrated over 1PW V6 to the new machine. I could not get passwords to appear so went to the App Store to see if there was a newer version. Yes, V7. So I downloaded and installed after entering data in some input windows. Unfortunately, the snazzy new web site wasn't very helpful about how I should proceed and I have spent a couple of hours browsing the forums to understand how to get up and running with my 5 devices. Currently I have both V6 and V7 installed on my new Mac. I want to uninstall my V6 but afraid I might disappear important info for V7. Also, from what I have read it sounds like if I want the subscription service that I need to download V7 from Agile, not the App Store. How do I make that happen? And I currently use Dropbox to sync my devices. Since they are reducing the number of units they will support I want to move to 1PW for syncing but don't know how to do that, some guidance or a support link would be appreciated. Finally, The individual subscription fee on the web site is $2.99/mo. When I click on 1PW preferences the fee is $3.99. What’s that about?
Lots of stuff here so I look forward to hearing from you guys.
Thanks for your help.

1Password Version: 6.8.9 and 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Mohave 10.14.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@Shaftoe - I'm sorry for the trouble.

Currently I have both V6 and V7 installed on my new Mac.

Not a good idea. At least, not for the long haul, for certain. Let's back up a bit. When you say "could not get passwords to appear," what do you mean? How did you "migrate 1PW V6 over to the new machine?" Time Machine? Migration Assistant? Something else? If you've been using 1Password 6 for Mac with standalone data, and you have a new Mac, you'd probably want to sign up for a 1password.com account on your old Mac first, then add the account to 1Password 6 for Mac there, and move your items from your existing standalone vault(s) into the 1password.com account vault. Then, on your new Mac, you can (and should) fully delete 1Password 6 for Mac and in 1Password 7 for Mac, reset the data and just sign into your account on re-start of the app. That will get you your data on the new Mac, without fussing with multiple copies of multiple versions, etc.

Regarding cost, $2.99/mo is what you will pay if you are in the USA and choose to pay annually (works out to $35.88 for an individual membership). If you live in another area, there may be VAT or other currency-conversion issues. And if you selected the monthly payment option, that will be $3.99/mo because it has to be billed 12 times each year instead of once. I'd recommend the annual option for that reason, but the choice is yours.

Do you still have access to your older Mac with 1Password 6 for Mac and a complete copy of your data on it?

• Sorry for the imprecision. I've been running 1PW for a few years now on my old Mac and used Migration Assistant to transfer the contents of Time Machine to my new SSD. I'm running High Sierra on the old Mac b/c it is too old to run Mojave. I don't know what "stand alone data" means but I'm a low competence user and just did a minimal original setup of 1PW. I still have my old Mac, fully operational. When I said the passwords did not appear I meant that when I ran 1PW v6 on the new machine all my logons appeared and were able to launch the sites I wanted to log into. But the passwords would not fill and appeared grayed out when using the mini. However, the V7 version on the same computer has a complete listing of all my logon IDs and passwords, which were operable, and I was able log on to my sites. V7 seems to be totally functional and populated.
    I understand the pricing, thank you and will choose the annual payment. I assume I have a complete copy of my "data" on the old Mac b/c I can still trigger my mini and log in with passwords to my current sites. V6 seems to still be fully functional on the old Mac.
    I believe V7 is displaying all the data brought over with V6 on the migration. Why do I need to do it again?
    So, back to you and thanks for the promptness of your reply.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @Shaftoe,

I believe V7 is displaying all the data brought over with V6 on the migration. Why do I need to do it again?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something, but if you see all your data in V7, why would you want to run the migration again?

• Re ag_ana's question of why run the migration again, I would like to avoid that, not recommend it. I'm not sure what needs to be done next (which is why I'm in the forum) but if the folder containing the logins needs to be restored or kept safe during unstalling V6 or the App Store version of V7 I would propose the following: I migrated the old Mac HD contents to my new Mac from Time Machine which I had attached to the new Mac. I then erased from the TM HD the backups accumulated from the old Mac and began backing up the new Mac to the TM HD. So, I think I have a secure copy of the login folder in TM (haven't verified that). If I'm correct I don't think I need to do anything more with the old Mac. Am I making sense here? I don't have a firm grasp of password/document security so I'm just trying to understand the process and what I need to do to get operational.
    I appreciate the help.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@Shaftoe,

I apologize but I'm not following. If all of your data is in v7, why would anything need to be done at this point? It sounds like the goal has already been accomplished. Could you please clarify what isn't operational, if all of your data is indeed present in v7?

If you're just asking about what to do with the old computer that you're no longer going to use I'm not sure we're in a position to advise on that, but I typically recommend to my friends and family that they either wipe the storage completely using a tool like DBAN ("Darik's Boot and Nuke") or at a minimum use the OS's built-in tools to erase the drive and reinstall the OS (this guide from Apple may help) before donating or otherwise disposing of the computer.

If something isn't working right on the new computer with v7 please let us know.

Ben

• Thanks Ben for getting me to refocus. Yes, all I need to do is delete V6 from the new Mac. However, in my original research in these forums and what added to my confusion were posts made after the rollout of V7 in which

1. Users were cautioned that if they had downloaded V7 from the App Store and wanted to do the subscription then that version of V7 must be deleted and reinstalled from Agile.

2. When a user has downloaded V7 to replace V6 the uninstall of V6 should be done in a certain way or risk loss of data from V7.

Could you clarify whether these are real issues and if so how do I go forward without further disruption?

Thanks

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Neither of those are modern concerns. To remove v6 from the new computer drag 1Password 6 to the trash, restart the computer, and then empty the trash. :+1:

Ben

• Ben, thanks for cutting to the chase. I followed your advice and V6 is gone and V7 works on my new Mac. I appreciate the contributions of all who responded.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

You're most welcome. I'm glad to hear it worked out. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file