We have a license. Why "read only" items + "Subscription info requests"

When I open iPassword on a MacBook Air, I am greeted by a screen:

. (Welcome to 1Password7 paragraph) How do I stop this from appearing?

When I open an item, the top right detail shows:

(Read Only)

Despite my love for your software, doesbeing a subscriber entail unnecessary steps to use or am I overlooking something I have been requested to do

1Password Version: 7.04
Extension Version: 1Password 7
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:We have a license. Why "read only" items + "Subscription info requests?"

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @Asktheace

Do you have a 1Password 7 for Mac license? Licenses are per-version. 1Password 7 requires either a new license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Jen3turboJen3turbo

I have this problem too in that i have a licence and everything is read only. Can I just go back to 1password6 where everything worked fine? How do i do that?

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @Jen3turbo! Welcome to the forum!

Did you purchase a license for 1Password 7 or do you have a license for an older version of 1Password?

• Jen3turboJen3turbo

I have a licence for an older version (1password6), not 1password7

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

You asked about the possibility of going back to 1Password 6... We can't recommend using an older version. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to revert to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. If you do decide to do that it should be looked at as a temporary measure to get you by until you decide how to move forward. Instructions on doing that can be found here.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• erhandlererhandler

I purchase 1Password 7 May 31, 2019 from the apple app store on my Mac. Why am I being asked to pay for a stand-alone license for a product I already purchased? I hope that I am just confused or I will need to request a refund from the app store and stop recommending this product to friends, family, and colleagues. I have been a customer since 07/2010 and have the emails to prove it. This new business model is extremely disappointing and a major reason why I have given up other products. Please advise. Thank you.

• vplewisvplewis Junior Member

@erhandler Licenses are not available from the Apple store—only subscriptions.
    You probably downloaded a 30 day free trial of the subscription model. You have a choice, either pay for a license (currently discounted to $49.99) by downloading from the AgileBits web site and purchasing from within the App, or purchase a subscription with the Apple Store version as you would have seen in the In-App notice:

Either way, version 7 is not a free update. Your other choice is to go back to the version you had previously purchased. hth

• I purchase 1Password 7 May 31, 2019 from the apple app store on my Mac.

You purchased it for 0$. 1Password 7 on the MacAppStore is a free download and can only be used in combination with the subscription. Stand-Alone-Licenses are only available as a purchase inside the 1Password 7 version you download from 1password.com/downloads

What you might have purchased for a one time price in the past is 1Password 6 or lower via the App-Store but 100% certain not 1Password 7. So there is nothing to refund.

• HenryHenry

Team Member

@erhandler I think vplewis and peacekeeper are correct in that you haven't yet paid anything for 1Password 7, and only downloaded it from the App Store. If you don't have an account, 1Password is licensed per-version, so your older licenses don't cover the new v7.

If you'd like to upgrade to 1Password 7, we've got a great guide here to help: Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac

Let me know if I can help more, and I'll be right here for you for anything. Thank you for being an awesome longtime 1Password user!

• pentoolpentool

Where is the upgrade price for v7 listed? I have v6 but I have no idea how much is the upgrade cost since it cannot be find anywhere on the site. It only advertises subscription prices, which I am not interested in. Thanks.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@pentool: if you click on Need a license? We have those too in that window, you will see the price for a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac ($64.99 regularly, but currently on sale for $49.99) :)

• pentoolpentool

FIFTY BUCKS!? Ouch, that's twice what I paid for v6! Thanks, but I think I pass.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@pentool

It sounds like you got a stellar deal on 1Password 6. Ultimately it is of course up to you to determine what value 1Password provides to you and make a choice as to how to proceed based on that valuation. I hope you'll continue with us into the future with 1Password, but if not I wish you the best of luck and hope you're able to find a password management solution you're comfortable with and confident in.

Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• NOCO_JoelNOCO_Joel

Hello, I purchased a license and upgraded from v6 to v7 on my main computer, which is working fine. I also downloaded v7 on a MacBook Pro, but it is currently in read-only mode. How do I update the MacBook with the new license I purchased on another computer. If I go to the 1Password7 menu > License > Add License, it appears to be looking for a file to upload. Where do I get this file? Thank you. Joel.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @NOCO_Joel

The file would be available through the email you received when you purchased the 1Password 7 for Mac license. If you no longer have that email please reach out to our sales team at [email protected] for assistance. Thanks!

Ben

• NOCO_JoelNOCO_Joel

Excellent. That was easy. And thank you for the prompt reply!!.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file