Custom URL field in a login item are launching default browser and not current browser

Options

Hi,
I noticed something that bothers me. I think it's a bug, or at least a wrong behavior. In some of my login items, I have multiple sections with different URL fields in it. I just noticed that if I click the open button next to one of the custom URL fields (using the extension of the browser I'm currently on (Firefox), it opens the link in my default browser instead (Safari) . Is this supposed to happen ? Thanks

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tetardbleu - it's working as designed, if that's what you mean, yes.

In 1Password, Login items are special: the default fields for those items are three:

1. Username (or email address)
    2. Password, and
    3. (of course) URL.

Without the URL, it's just a username/password combo; could be a membership card or anything else that might not have an online presence. Without the username, it's just a Password item (or it could be just a password item). Only that combination of all three is what's needed for most actual Login items. So additional user-created sections further down in the item can of course include as many URLs as you wish...but those are not part of the filling logic of the top, default fields. You'll notice, if you hover your mouse over any of the URLs in the main section, you'll see "Open & Fill" - which will initiate the filling logic: it will visit the saved URL (presumably the Login page for the site in question), and it will attempt to fill the username/password combination.

But other sections, with any combination of values (text, URLs, one-time passwords, even addresses or telephone numbers, aren't part of that filling logic. That's why you don't see "Open & Fill" beside it when you save a URL (any URL) there, only "Open." And "Open" uses the system default browser. If you copy that secondary URL out of the special section you created for it, and add it as "Website 2" under the main URL, then you will see "Open & Fill."

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member
    Options

OK I understand. I still think, however, that the most logical thing when I use a browser extension and not 1password mini or 1password app would be that the browser in use opens any solicited URL via the "open" button. That's just my opinion anyway. Thanks for the clarification.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tetardbleu - thanks for the perspective. To make sure we're being clear, if you have 1Password for Mac and are using the "requires desktop app" extension (4.7.3.90) as opposed to 1Password X, then the extension is essentially a (mostly) dumb conduit for the mini. When you click that icon in your browser, what you're seeing IS the mini; the extension itself has no UI of its own; it just allows the mini to interact with the browser.

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I also knew that in fact ! But if the mini can « open and fill » in a specific browser when an extension is used, I thought it could also "open only" in it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tetardbleu - gotcha. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.