How can I recover my master password when I am the family organizer?

Hello,

I am the organizer of the family which has another member.
I have forgotten my master password, but I have the secret key in my possession and I have access to my e-mail which is linked to my account.

The problem with the account recovery following the instructions here https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery is that we're not sure and we do not recall what permissions does the other family member have as apparently he cannot find 'People' tab in the sidebar.

How can we recover the access to my account?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• peacekeeperpeacekeeper

If you did not name another Family organizer it is unfortunately not possible to restore your account. Did you by chance write down your Masterpassword on a copy of the Emergency Kit that you stored somewhere safely?

• @peacekeeper Well, I am not sure if I have promoted him to an administrator, owner or organizer as I do not recall, so I cannot verify or deny it.

Unfortunately, I only have my secret key, but not the master password.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

Welcome to the forum, @thousand_joules! I'm sorry for the trouble. If you gave the other person Family Organizer permissions, then that person will be able to help you recover your account. If you didn't, then that won't be possible. Any other person in the family account can check by signing into their account in a browser, then checking if they see the "People" tab in the right sidebar. If they can't see that, or if they see it but clicking on your name in the list does not give them a "Begin Recovery" option in the left sidebar, then you didn't give that person Family Organizer permissions.

If you've forgotten your Master Password, there's very little you'll be able to do to access your data or the account management functions of your account, since the Master Password is the one piece of data that's not stored anywhere except your head (even the Secret Key is stored in the browsers/apps you use 1Password with). You can't sign into 1password.com in a browser, and even if you can use Touch ID or Face ID to unlock the 1Password app on one of your devices, you won't be able to change your Master Password without knowing the current one.

I'd consider trying the steps outlined in this article to see if you can jog your memory or one of those tips works for you. If none of it does, however, then you and everyone else in the 1Password Families account will need to start over. If that turns out to be the case - you've exhausted all options and you're sure you can't recover your account or remember your Master Password, let me know and we can give you some further instructions via email for how the members of your account can salvage as much of your data as you can.

• Hello @Lars, thank you for your response. I have read through all the tips in the link that you have provided, however I reckon I will have to start from scratch, unless it is possible to elevate the permissions of the other family member through support (provide him with the minimum “Recover Accounts” permission)?

Would that be possible?

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@thousand_joules - nope. It would be both improper and a huge security hole for us to possess the ability to manipulate user privileges in your account or see any of your data. 1Password is designed to protect you -- even from us. The downside to that is, well, what you're experiencing now: if you forget your Master Password or lose your Secret Key...we can't help you. Not because we wouldn't like to be able to help, but because there's no way we know of to grant ourselves that kind of power while also maintaining the kind of privacy and security you expect, deserve and pay for. Wish I had better news. :(

However, all may not be totally lost. In fact, your other users (presuming they still know their Master Password(s) and Secret Key(s) can transfer their data to another account or local vault or even export it in unencrypted format, then (after you delete the account) re-import it back into the new one. Are you and your family members using Macs or PCs?

• @Lars we are using 1pass on Mac, Linux and iOS. How can we proceed with the account deletion and re-creation so that it would be an easy transfer for my other family member (he is using 1pass without issues)? Is it by using local vaults?

Is it possible to include him into the conversation?

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@thousand_joules: one option is to first create a new account, and have your other users move their existing data to their new account. Otherwise, you can have them export their data, at which point you can delete the existing account. It's up to you what you choose.

But if you want to include him into the conversation, please feel free to email us at [email protected] so we can continue the conversation over there. When you receive your Support ID, please post it here so we can locate your email in the system.

Thank you!

• @ag_ana We are ready to start the process, support ID: [#VBH-47423-331]

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Thank you @thousand_joules. I confirm we have received your email, so we will get back to you over there as soon as possible.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file