Using same 1PW account on two different user accounts

Options
1pwbritt
1pwbritt
Community Member

Hello! I have a Mac with two user accounts (both mine; one is for work, one is for leisure). I created the second user account a few months ago, and for some reason, I can't use the same master password on that user account to access my password. I bought a license for this computer in 2015 (don't have a membership) so not sure what the issue is. Help? Thanks!

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6
OS Version: OS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1pwbritt! Welcome to the forum!

I can't use the same master password on that user account to access my password.

Are you using the same Primary vault on both 1Password apps?

• 1pwbritt
    1pwbritt
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana, yes - I'm using the same Primary vault!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the confirmation @1pwbritt. So what happens exactly when you try to use the same Master Password on your second account? You wrote "I can't use the same master password", does it mean that you get an error message when you try to do it? Or what happens exactly?

• 1pwbritt
    1pwbritt
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana, when I tried to use the master password, there's an error message — I can't login, and it tells me that PW is wrong/doesn't exist.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Can you please share a screenshot of that error message @1pwbritt? Please make sure there are no personal information included in it before you upload it!

• 1pwbritt
    1pwbritt
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana — it just turns red when I enter the same master PW. I tried re-installing the software and the same issue happens - on one of my user accounts (the first one I created) I can login, on my other user account I can't.

• 1pwbritt
    1pwbritt
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I must have imagined the actual error message! It just does this instead.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Deleting the app doesn't affect the data. So it will require whichever Master Password you chose for the first vault/account you have setup in the app under that macOS user profile in order to unlock, unless you reset 1Password there.

This discussion has been closed.